Solved - Misfire #4 after installing motorcraft OEM copper plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Misfire #4 after installing motorcraft OEM copper plugs

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
SOLVED*****

Ok, I thought I was doing a good thing. I replaced the iridium plugs with a tune up care package I received from a family member at ford. #4 plug was difficult to remove. It came out and looked fine. When I was installing the new plug I looked at the old plug first. It looked okay. Three of the threads looked as if they might have been cross threaded - but not nearly as bad as I've seen in the past. I installed the new plugs. Now I've receiving misfire data and a CEL for #4.

I gave the plug a slight right turn and it turned slightly, to a solid tight position (yes I know not to do this when the head is hot). Reran the X on around town and on the 405 at speed.

Fuel injector is new (all of them). No problem with the DESNCO PT20TT plugs that were installed prior to the oem - ram fine. I'm going to reinstall the DENSCO tomorrow morning. I took it for a ride on the 405 at speed and it ran fine however my scanner showed 45 misfires for #4. Wires are new motorcraft 8mm. Dialectic grease utilized inside boot. Idles a little rough. Slight exhaust note on idle when the misfire occurs.

If the injector is fine and operating as it should (equal ohm test on all injectors), what else could it be? If the plug is not seated entirely, could this cause a misfire? Trouble code shows misfire #4 on scanner.

Besides installing a the DESNCO back into #4, do you have any ideas on what else I could search for? It was running perfectly fine before I changed he plugs. Coil is 3 months old - remember it ran perfectly this morning.

Mileage on the motor is 1,100 miles and boot is fully seated on the plug and on the coil. I'm stumped. Any ideas I can try?

Changed front timing tensioner to oem motorcraft - that issue is resolved.

PS - passed smog on Saturday - thank goodness.

UPDATE: Bought a thread chaser and some heavy all purpose grease to hopefully catch any metal bits. Plus I'm going to move the wires around just in case it's a bad wire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not really sure about this since I'd say I'm a total noob, but I've heard that sometimes it's possible you can get a crap plug from the factory. Did you try moving that plug to a different cylinder to see if the misfire follows?

That's an excellent idea too. Thank you.

I pulled the threads. Motor shop is helicoiling the sparkplug threads. Bummer.

Oh no, that is a bummer. Sorry dude :(

Eddie -
can you take a break, please :)

On a serious note, you are still ahead of the game.
Most people just dump the cars when an engine or tranny goes, and spend tens of thousands of $$$ on another pre-owned one with an unknown history. And then they face same issues and pay big bucks to get it fixed. At least you know what you drive and you can expect another 100,000 if not more out of that car.

Agreed. I may not have to pay for the work after all - warranty. But I'm with you on this one. Getting it fixed next week. Still runs fine. Minor shudders. I do expect another 100k out of my X.

After this fix I'm not touching anything other than oil changes. Mechanic can handle the rest.

$167 later I'm back on the road. SOLVED.

Very good, wow what a ride (rodeo ride at that!!)

$167 later I'm back on the road. SOLVED.

So was it just because the plug wasn't securely screwed in that was causing the miss?

Thread chased. Installed properly by Ford shot mechanic. Plus I had to buy a new plug since my originall plug was shot across my garage and broke. Rookie mistake. It took the mechanic an hour to get this plug in correctly.. I had cross threaded the first three threads. Since it was my fault, warranty won't kick in. Such and idiot I am.

Yes, since it wasn't seated properly, it caused the miss and blew it out of the head. Luckily I had relocated the battery or I would have a plug impaled into the side of the battery. Wife still laughing at me.

Wife still laughing at me.
f
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Glad you didn't get hurt and all is fixed. I'm guessing this was a house call mechanic? Definitely a learning experience!!

House call it was. Not threaded in enough. Yup, I just went out to spray some misty water over the wires since I got shocked pretty badly this afternoon. No shorts found...Again, I must have removed the #4 boot by hand arching back to my hand. Her parting comment tonight was - don't touch the spark plugs, lol!!!! Even my mom made the same comment. Don't think I'm going to forget this one for a while. These ignition systems can create some serious electrical charge.

Back