• Register Today It's free!

Misfire codes on 5 Star tune

Volksjager

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU EB
I’m running the 91 tune and using 93. I have surging issues and keep getting codes P0300
P0316 for misfires. OAR keeps rising and i am seeing knock. With this tune i only see up to + or -1.99. Pulled the plug and there seems to be quite a bit of carbon build up but not on the tip itself. These are the plugs i got from 5* and they are gapped to .030. Stock plugs i took out were normal and did not have build up like this(didn’t have a performance tune when stock plugs were in). This is out of a 2017 Explorer 3.5 eb. Any ideas would be appreciated

3221-CD42-F0-A7-475-D-9-FBD-52-C13535-D12-C.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It only does it with the tune? Have you tried switching back to pre-5Star to see what it does? I'm sure you do, but I guess I should ask the question anyway...you do have a 3bar MAP sensor with the tune, right?

Run a log and send it to 5Star to see what they say. They should be able to see what might be going on. First impression to me is you might be getting some oil into the cylinder. These things are famous for getting oil into the intake track. That's why folks get catch cans. But easy way to check that...disconnect your hose going to the TB and see if you have any oil goin in there.

Also, if you have a lot of carbon buildup on the back of the valves (another thing these are famous for...one drawback to DI) it may be messing with AFRs....

...just a few initial thoughts. Definitely send 5Star a log though.

It only does it with the tune? Have you tried switching back to pre-5Star to see what it does? I'm sure you do, but I guess I should ask the question anyway...you do have a 3bar MAP sensor with the tune, right?

Run a log and send it to 5Star to see what they say. They should be able to see what might be going on. First impression to me is you might be getting some oil into the cylinder. These things are famous for getting oil into the intake track. That's why folks get catch cans. But easy way to check that...disconnect your hose going to the TB and see if you have any oil goin in there.

Also, if you have a lot of carbon buildup on the back of the valves (another thing these are famous for...one drawback to DI) it may be messing with AFRs....

...just a few initial thoughts. Definitely send 5Star a log though.
So yes on stock tune it doesnt throw misfire codes. 5 star said to use the stock map. My GH tune uses a 3 bar map. I do have a catch can as well. I’ve regapped as some plugs had a gap larger than .030 and installed the GH tune. I’ll see if i have the same misfire issues.

It’s been a little over a week and i’ve put about 500 miles. The OAR is all over the place. From -.96 to .30 iirc. I’ve filled up and topped off and 3 different stations even added a little e85 (1 gallon or less to a full tank). The knock is just all over the place. Currently at -.16 oar on 93 from meijer.

Thanks. i'll definitely give it more time. i'm just curious why the 93 fuel i buy keeps ending up with a lot of knock.

Thanks. i'll definitely give it more time. i'm just curious why the 93 fuel i buy keeps ending up with a lot of knock.
Fuel in your area, regardless of what station it is at, likely comes from just a handful of vendors, possibly even a single vendor. Your area/region could have some crappy winter blend...which is super cheap and ignites easier. Not sure if thats true in your region, but it's true out here in CA.

Fuel in your area, regardless of what station it is at, likely comes from just a handful of vendors, possibly even a single vendor. Your area/region could have some crappy winter blend...which is super cheap and ignites easier. Not sure if thats true in your region, but it's true out here in CA.
I don’t doubt that winter fuel is crap. It was however doing the same thing back at the beginning of August when i first got the tune. Are PIU ecm’s and stock engine programming different than the civilian models? Even if it were would it make any difference?

I don’t doubt that winter fuel is crap. It was however doing the same thing back at the beginning of August when i first got the tune. Are PIU ecm’s and stock engine programming different than the civilian models? Even if it were would it make any difference?
No, I can't imagine they'd be very different. Shift strategies may be different as well as radiator fan kickoff as their cars tend to idle more, but that is honestly a good question. I can't see it really making a difference, however. If anything, they would be tuned to run at even crappier fuel qualities, as fleets usually go with REALLY crappy, low octane fuel with likely no additives.

No, I can't imagine they'd be very different. Shift strategies may be different as well as radiator fan kickoff as their cars tend to idle more, but that is honestly a good question. I can't see it really making a difference, however. If anything, they would be tuned to run at even crappier fuel qualities, as fleets usually go with REALLY crappy, low octane fuel with likely no additives.
I’ll try Shell or BP and see if it makes any difference, but at these fuel prices 😮

I’ll try Shell or BP and see if it makes any difference, but at these fuel prices 😮
The last time I filled up it was the equivalent of $5.52 a U.S. gallon for 91 octane.

Peter

Spark plug gap is good at 0.030. You shouldn't get spark blowout at WOT at that gap. PIU vs Sport ECM are no different to the tuner. I am PIU as well and runs fantastic. Not an issue. Dirty intake definetely something to consider. I drilled a weep hole in my intercooler and everyday it blows crap out. Pretty popular mod with the F150 crowd, not so much with Explorer/SHO. I had a pretty wet coating on my intake tract. But I am not convinced that would cause misfires and knock; maybe some rough idle conditions if the plugs get coked up. I don't think its fuel related. Do a 0-100 pull and scan for knock. Then throw in some Torco additive and do another run. See if you still have knock. But all of this is just guessing. I would do some cruise and WOT datalogs for your Tuner so they can look at the totality of how the motor is running.

Back