• Register Today It's free!

Misfire in cylinder #4

sidvail

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I was out tinkering with my explorer today when my neighbor came over and said his check engine light was on in his 96 XLT. I offered my ez-scan to see if could find anything. Sure enough - trouble code P-304 showed up. Engine sounded great though.

Reading up on it shows anything from faulty plug/wire to O2 sensor to poor compression. Is any of those more common than most? Again, the engine sounds great - no stutter or starting problems. We did smell gas when he first started it up - but nothing afterwards.

I reset the code - but the check engine light came back on within the hour. Anything more likely than others?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the motor using coolant? If it is, I'm betting the spark plug porcelain is cracked.

Okay, we tracked it down. The spark plug wire was laying across the manifold - melted through. Probably shorting out at times. Replaced the wire, cleared the code and took it for a test. No trouble code anymore, no check engine light. Whoop!

Excellent!
I have a bad habit of assuming the worst when I hear 'misfire cylinder 4'.

Glad the fix was easy.

Back