• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Misfire in cylinder #4

sidvail

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I was out tinkering with my explorer today when my neighbor came over and said his check engine light was on in his 96 XLT. I offered my ez-scan to see if could find anything. Sure enough - trouble code P-304 showed up. Engine sounded great though.

Reading up on it shows anything from faulty plug/wire to O2 sensor to poor compression. Is any of those more common than most? Again, the engine sounds great - no stutter or starting problems. We did smell gas when he first started it up - but nothing afterwards.

I reset the code - but the check engine light came back on within the hour. Anything more likely than others?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dono

347 V8 Limited turbo
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Limited V8
Is the motor using coolant? If it is, I'm betting the spark plug porcelain is cracked.

sidvail

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Okay, we tracked it down. The spark plug wire was laying across the manifold - melted through. Probably shorting out at times. Replaced the wire, cleared the code and took it for a test. No trouble code anymore, no check engine light. Whoop!

Dono

347 V8 Limited turbo
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Limited V8
Excellent!
I have a bad habit of assuming the worst when I hear 'misfire cylinder 4'.

Glad the fix was easy.

sidvail

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer