• Register Today It's free!

Misfire Issues

454burb87

Reaction score
City, State
Yorba Linda, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 4x4
Hello All Im A Newbie To This Forum So Here Goes.... I Have A 91 Xlt 4x4 Explorer And It Started Misfiring 2 Days Ago. I Have Cleaned The Maf And The Iac With No Results. I Then Checked The Resistance On The Wires The Short Wires Were 5.5 Ohms To 5.8 Ohms The Long Side Was Between 10 And 12 Ohms. So I Replaced The Wireset And This Help A Bit. I Then Checked The Plug Gap And Condition It Was At A Whopping .070 So I Regapped To .040. All The Plugs Looked Normal Except For #2 On The Pass Side: This Plug Was Sooted Up And Smelled Of Gas (possible Injector Leak???) Is This A Good Deduction Or Do You Guys Have Other Ideas. It Misfires Below 2500 Under Moderate Accel When The Torque Converter Is Locked And Idles Rough.

Two early steps:

- Check for vacuum leaks on the intake
- Replace fuel filter (sounds like its getting clogged up)

hmmm ill go check on the vaccuum situation......would the fuel filter cause it to chug and miss only when under load below 2500 or all the time...the misfire started suddenly and the truck only has 82k on it.

i know there aren't any vaccuum leaks (i just ran out and checked with soapy water). but where is the fuel filter located? And which fuse do i pull to bleed the line? I am still confused as to why only one plug was sooted up....oh well

Back