misfire misery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

misfire misery

Reaction score
City, State
booneville,ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 5.0
Ok I'm new to the site. So here goes. My 2000 ex 5.0 started missing, went thru plugs wires, didn't fix it. Then ordered injector and took off upper intake and found injector wire chewed thru by rat, fixed wire put it back together. Still have a miss on that cylinder. Could I have burnt a valve with the injector not working? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the same boat bro....just got check engine light go off this weekend and scanner says P0303 code....time to search the archives on here!

Mine misses right above idle but really gets more pronounced in drive and more so when vehicle warms up. Its driving me crazy. I'm thinking its a weak coil so I've got two coming from eBay. I hope they take care of the problem.

Mine misses right above idle but really gets more pronounced in drive and more so when vehicle warms up. Its driving me crazy. I'm thinking its a weak coil so I've got two coming from eBay. I hope they take care of the problem.

Let me know how that goes James, I changed plugs and wires and did resistance test on the primary & secondary circuits of the coil pack but didn't try swapping them to see if my code moved to another cylinder. I was going run a compression check next to rule out or identify it as a valve or ring issue before moving on to fuel system. Mine too runs good until it warms up but then I get misfires/backfires at about 2000 RPM under a load.

I thought about swapping the coils around yesterday to see if it would jump to another cylinder but I'm supposed to get the new ones in today. So ill just put new ones on to see if I can hopefully just eliminate it altogether. Wish me luck. I'll let you know if that works. Good luck on yours. I hope you get it figured out. Let me know if you do.

I checked the plug on the cylinder that was missing and it didn't have any oil on it. So I'm guessing if anything it would probably be a valve issue. But I'm hoping its a coil.

Well I put the coil packs on and its still missing. I'm afraid it burnt a valve when the injector wasn't working. Unless you have any other ideas. I'm so frustrated with it. Could anything else make it miss on the same cylinder constantly.

Well I put the coil packs on and its still missing. I'm afraid it burnt a valve when the injector wasn't working. Unless you have any other ideas. I'm so frustrated with it. Could anything else make it miss on the same cylinder constantly.

Hey James,
I bought a compression gauge and also a vacuum gauge at harbor freight tools for pretty cheap today, gonna run those tests in a bit or tomorrow and that should point me in the right direction as I too got nowhere testing/swapping ignition components. I'll let you know how mine goes.
John

I'm afraid mine is a burnt valve. I had mine idling and put a piece of paper up to the end of the tailpipe and it sucked up to the end of it quite a few times. I've got a good friend who is mechanic who is gonna let me borrow a compression tester to make sure. But I guess I'm gonna look into getting my heads rebuilt. I hope you have better luck John.

I'm afraid mine is a burnt valve. I had mine idling and put a piece of paper up to the end of the tailpipe and it sucked up to the end of it quite a few times. I've got a good friend who is mechanic who is gonna let me borrow a compression tester to make sure. But I guess I'm gonna look into getting my heads rebuilt. I hope you have better luck John.

Oh dang!
I never heard of the paper test James, is that for like fluctuations in backpressure thru exhaust?
I'm scared mine might be a valve too so thats why I bought the gauges earlier this afternoon. Got truck sittin in driveway with hood open cooling off....well if it can since its upper 90's outside still....
John

From what I understand when the piston is going down in the cylinder even with exhaust valve closed if its burnt it'll still create somewhat of a vacuum and suck the exhaust back inside the pipe. Don't quote me on that though. Lol. That's why I'm still gonna borrow the compression tester.

From what I understand when the piston is going down in the cylinder even with exhaust valve closed if its burnt it'll still create somewhat of a vacuum and suck the exhaust back inside the pipe. Don't quote me on that though. Lol. That's why I'm still gonna borrow the compression tester.

Lol ok! I'll try it when I do the vacuum test, dont wanna start it up again til after compression check but its still to hot outside at the moment.

Yeah I hear that. It's been so hot and humid here. We had a little break from it today cuz it rained here. I've got a pair of aluminum heads off my 89 mustang 306 that's really tempting to put on it. My fiancé won't let me do it though. Lol. Gotta keep her happy.

Yeah I hear that. It's been so hot and humid here. We had a little break from it today cuz it rained here. I've got a pair of aluminum heads off my 89 mustang 306 that's really tempting to put on it. My fiancé won't let me do it though. Lol. Gotta keep her happy.

Lol, back in the day I put 306 heads on my old '66 Fastback's 289....it upped the compression ratio so thats something to watch out on as it could require diff injectors an such to feed the beast.....and then sleepless nights with a pissed off fiance is never a good thing lol

Had to toss a big ole 4BBL Holley on it back then as the stock 2BBL didnt deliver enuff.....

Sorry I posted that twice again. Don't know what's going on with this tablet. Lol. Yeah I'm worried about the injectors and maybe having to tune the computer if I put those heads on. So ill probably stick with stock heads but it sure is tempting. I think the pissed off old lady is probably the biggest deterrent. Lol.

Sorry I posted that twice again. Don't know what's going on with this tablet. Lol. Yeah I'm worried about the injectors and maybe having to tune the computer if I put those heads on. So ill probably stick with stock heads but it sure is tempting. I think the pissed off old lady is probably the biggest deterrent. Lol.

Yup, don't do it if you value youre relationship with her. Motorhead at heart here too bro lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I like to keep her happy. She's one of the good ones. She knows I'd be unhappy if I didn't have my mustang running and able to race. She gives me a lot of room to do things to the car to make it faster and whatnot. She enjoys going to the drag strip and racing.

Back