Misfire Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Misfire Question

Reaction score
City, State
Sunapee, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Eddie Bauer
Got an 05 Eddie with the 4.6, 177,000. started misfiring the other day. Borrowed a friends scanner and found #8 cyl. was the culprit. Picked up plugs cause who knows when it was last tuned. When I pulled the #8 coil off I found water in the plug well, so that explains the misfire. But has anyone else had this issue. It isn't antifreeze just water, haven't lost any coolant since I flushed the system last July.On a side note who was the designer that was on drugs when they decided that would be a good place for a fuel filter :frustrate :frustrate :banghead: that almost took longer than the plugs. Any ideas on the H2o issue would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a common issue. You need to replace the intake manifold.

Could it be that the hole just wasn't sealed off properly, and rain water while driving got kicked up and went into the hole. Maybe you have no problem other than that. If you are sure it had no anti freeze, and it was just water, I don't know what else it could be

Thanks

I sealed the plug boot with some grease will let it go for a while and check it. If it is the intake :eek: would I be able to see coolant leaking somewhere else or does it just go into the plug hole with no other signs. Thanks again for the help.

This is pretty common. Check the hood seal at the firewall. Its design allows rain water to pour onto the back of the engine. Search the forum for homemade fixes for it.

Look around the thermostat housing for signs of leaking. It may only leak under pressure. If it does, it'll run along the intake and into the coil/plug holes.

Could be rainwater I r could be the intake leaking coolant. I've heard of either causing the #8 cyl to have issues.

Back