• Register Today It's free!

misfire!!

hwmfresh

Reaction score
City, State
lancaster pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
2000 explorer 4.0 ohv. low emissions vehicle. cylinder 5 and 6 misfire detected cylinder 2 pending. i wasted money on a coil pack that was not the issue. i had new spark plug wires laying around. i replaced cyl 4 5 and 6 wires and cleaned and gaped spark plugs. checked for spark witch i do have and did a compression test. cylinder 5 and 6 where at 162psi cylinder 4 was low at 120 i added oil and got 155. next would be to check for fuel any ideas on how to start that processes? any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. thanks! oh one last thing there is a small exhaust leak on the small catalytic converter, no o2 sensor codes so didnt really think it was causing the misfire. :usa::exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spark plugs do cause a lot of the issues of problem cylinders. So if you havent replaced those do it.

Fuel pressure test. The Schrader valve is on fuel manifold on passenger side on top of engine. It looks like a valve stem on a tire but metal. Screw it in turn key forward see what it says. Release pressure. Start vehicle and see what it says. Do it a couple times after releasing pressure. Then start it and look again at pressure but now shut off vehicle and keep a eye on pressure to see if it drops in pressure.

okay thanks whats the best plugs to run in this. the ones i have in now are ngk they have about 25k on them

autolite platinums. $3 each at advanceauto parts

Any codes thrown out?
I had a misfire, codes thrown out was Cyl2 misfire, and lean bank 1. After I too wasted money on a coil, I swapped out spark plugs and wires, the problem stuck with cylinder 2.
I determined later it was a bad fuel injector ( read open across coil) . Changed it out, all good now.

Just misfire codes. No lean code. I'm buying plugs after work. I'll let you all know tonight.

2 new ford Motorcraft spark plugs put in cyl 5 and 6 that dI'd not fix the issue. Driver side middle and back cyl is 5 and 6 right? I patched uo the small exhaust with a cement just waiting until that dries. Only check codes I have are cyl 5 and 6 misfire

The spark plugs are gap to .054

Yeah that might b fuel injectors. Borrow a noid light and try that first.

But did you try fuel pressure test yet?

Very common mistake we ll have made is having the spark plug wires, or, firing order mixed up. Double, then Triple check the firing order, especially on the driver side.

0996b43f8020953d.gif

I do smell unburnt fuel. What about a mass air or crank sensor

I do smell unburnt fuel. What about a mass air or crank sensor

No, what about double check the firing order.

Pull the wires off, re install them using the picture above.

Ok sounds good I'll check. Thanks

Try to ohm out the coil across the injectors. If it's open , then you know it's bad. Getting to the injectors might be a pain. Don't know how it is on the OHV, but on my SOHC, I had to remove the upper manifold and bunch of hoses to get to the injectors.

Yeah I have to take my upper intake off to get to that side of injectors

I did the ohm test on my injector and tested fine. Put a screwdriver to it, sounded fine. Wasn't until I took fuel manifold off that I seen black pool of liquid sitting in on top of my injector did I know it was bad, clogged. once replaced the 302 code went away and of course ran better with a lot more hp.

You right turdle. Thanks.

You right turdle. Thanks.

Glad it was a simple thing. It is very easy to get the wires crossed on that side. we all have done it. :D

Back