Mishimoto's Performance Intercooler Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mishimoto's Performance Intercooler Thread

Mishimoto

Reaction score
City, State
New Castle, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 ST
Hey Guys!

Nick here again! I just wanted to kick off this thread to let you know that we've broken ground on our new intercooler development! Make sure to head over to our blog to read more!

FORD FAMILY FUN – 2020+ FORD EXPLORER ST PERFORMANCE INTERCOOLER STOCK REVIEW AND DESIGN PLANS

NLT_9917-scaled.jpg

Ever since Ford brought the EcoBoost engines to life in the early 2010s, enthusiasts have been on a quest for more boost. The downside to added boost pressure, however, is that it can easily overload the stock intercooler. The lightweight tube-and-fin cores generally don’t have the surface area or core volume to dissipate the heat generated by higher-than-stock boost pressures. The Explorer ST’s intercooler is no exception to that trend.

After careful planning and consideration, Mitch created a virtual version of our new intercooler. When we bring this intercooler to life, we plan to bump up the core size to 26″x16.5″x2.2″ for a massive boost in cooling power. The added fin surface area and internal core volume will be more conducive to cooling charged air and increased boost pressure.

A bigger core isn’t all we’re planning, either... Read more

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it's going to be a very useful product:burnout:

Hey Guys!

Nick here again! I just wanted to kick off this thread to let you know that we've broken ground on our new intercooler development! Make sure to head over to our blog to read more!

FORD FAMILY FUN – 2020+ FORD EXPLORER ST PERFORMANCE INTERCOOLER STOCK REVIEW AND DESIGN PLANS

View attachment 341460

-Nick
Hey,
I’d love to get one installed when they are ready. I’m local in DE, do you offer installation?

Hey,
I’d love to get one installed when they are ready. I’m local in DE, do you offer installation?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hey Guys!

View attachment 341460

-Nick
Any estimate on release? I just got my ST last week and I’m debating one of these soon, just not sure how long I can wait. located in NJ

Any estimate on release? I just got my ST last week and I’m debating one of these soon, just not sure how long I can wait. located in NJ
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hey,

Hey neighbor!

Unfortunately, we don't offer customer installation for our products, but we do provide installation instructions if this is something that you're willing to tackle on your own! Let me get back to you on some local shops that could also help you out as well

Right now we're slotted for a launch in Spring of 2022. I'll be sure to let you guys know if that changes at all!

-Nick

Hey neighbor!

Unfortunately, we don't offer customer installation for our products, but we do provide installation instructions if this is something that you're willing to tackle on your own! Let me get back to you on some local shops that could also help you out as well

Right now we're slotted for a launch in Spring of 2022. I'll be sure to let you guys know if that changes at all!

-Nick
Thanks! I would appreciate it, I’m new to the area.

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to give this thread a bump since we just dropped the latest update to our intercooler development! Make sure you head to our blog for the full scoop!

Ford Family Fun – 2020+ Ford Explorer ST 3.0L Performance Intercooler R&D, Part 2 – Production Sample

NT6_9257.jpg

Any road trip requires at least a small amount of planning. Sure, you could just jump into the car and drive, but it helps to know at least the direction you’re headed in most cases. The planning requirements only increase as more passengers climb into your Explorer.

If the intercooler is the road map to the Explorer ST’s expedition to more power, we here at Mishimoto prefer our trip to have a complete and detailed itinerary. Really, after a closer inspection of our production sample, our road trip looks more like the course details of a road rally.

When we last left off, our intercooler was just the framework of our design. This physical manifestation of the digital design was fabricated here at our R&D facility to triple-check our fitment before the real thing arrived. Well, the real thing is here, and we’re eager to show it off. read more...

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

That's a thing of beauty :D:burnout:

Hey Gang!

Just a quick bump here to let you know that we're still working on this project!

We'll have some more info on the intercooler's performance once we get closer to our presale coming up soon!

NLT_0199-scaled.jpg

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the meantime!

-Nick

Hi, will this intercooler work with the PHEV models?

Hey Gang!

Just a quick bump here to let you know that we're still working on this project!

We'll have some more info on the intercooler's performance once we get closer to our presale coming up soon!

View attachment 428705

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the meantime!

-Nick
Hi, any info on fitment on the PHEV models?

@Mishimoto

hopefully they are subbed to this thread!!! maybe they didnt see your prev. posts

that being said, this is wicked cool!!

Hi, any info on fitment on the PHEV models?

Apologies for the delay, guys!

That's a great question and we already have our research team checking into this, though it might be tough to tell until we can get our hands on one

-Nick

Apologies for the delay, guys!

That's a great question and we already have our research team checking into this, though it might be tough to tell until we can get our hands on one

-Nick
And that in itself is pretty tough haha, mine finally is underway. Or so i am told :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to give this thread a bump since we've published the testing data for this intercooler! Make sure that you yead over to our Engineering Blog to check it out!

FORD FAMILY FUN – 2020+ FORD EXPLORER ST PERFORMANCE INTERCOOLER R&D, PART 4 – DYNO TESTING

NLT_0199.jpg

I also wanted to give you guys a quick update on our launch schedule as well! Right now we're slotted for the second week of July to launch our presale, and intercoolers should arrive at your door in about 3-5 weeks. As for pricing, we're looking at a street price of $999.95 with an even steeper discount when purchased on presale.

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have!

-Nick

Back