Missfire Ignition Coil Diagnosis

rjohnson

Reaction score
City, State
Brick NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0
Hey everyone,

I have a problem with my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 pushrod. I am getting a severe missfire on start up, so bad that sometimes when i turn it on it cranks but doesnt kick. i replaced the plugs and wires are getting the DTC codes for a cyclinder 2 and 3 missfire detected. I tested the primary and secondary resistance of the coil pack and for the secondary across the 3 coils i got .8 ohms, which is in spec according to my haynes manual.
but, reading my haynes manual, its saying my primary resistance (the four prongs in the connector [B+, -,-,-]) should be inbetween 6.5ohms and 11k ohms. now when i tested that i got around 13k ohms. i'm wondering if this is enough to diagnose the coil pack as bad.
also i am getting a code P0117 which is Engine Coolant Temperature circuit low input. does anybody know what this could be? and i have a problem with burning through a gallon of coolant in a day or two, it comes right out the exhaust pipe along with the sweet smell. i would really appreciate any feedback i can get, thank you for your time

P.S. I am looking to sell the car so if you could give me an opinion on what i can get for it that would be great

1996 Ford Explorer XLT
150,000 miles
new head unit
decent interior
not so decent exterior

Thanks Guys!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it is low on coolant for p0117 and you probably have cracked heads or blown head gaskets which is why you miss on startup. Coolant fills cylinder when engine is off than misfires on startup.

Sounds like it is low on coolant for p0117 and you probably have cracked heads or blown head gaskets which is why you miss on startup. Coolant fills cylinder when engine is off than misfires on startup.

So the resistance in the coil pack doesnt mean anything?

Your coil pack may have problems as well, but you need to solve the coolant issues first as they may be causing your problems. Does it run fine after start up? smooth idle, not down on power, etc? If it does I would bet your coil pack is fine and it's all of the coolant that is getting sucked into the motor that is giving you problems.

Your coil pack may have problems as well, but you need to solve the coolant issues first as they may be causing your problems. Does it run fine after start up? smooth idle, not down on power, etc? If it does I would bet your coil pack is fine and it's all of the coolant that is getting sucked into the motor that is giving you problems.

yeah it runs really rough after start up and it feels like im driving a 4 cylinder, absolutly no power

Back