• Register Today It's free!

Missing badly and no power

93mod

Reaction score
City, State
oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
I have a 98 eddie bauer with the 4.0 that has some problems that seem to be getting worse. It is missing badly. It misses idling, under acceleration, and pretty much any other time. Also has no power whatsoever under acceleration. It takes me forever to get up to highway speeds. I hooked up a scanner and got several codes. Misfire detected bank one(duh), misfire detected bank 2(really?), system too lean, and calalyst efficiecy below threshold. What the heck does that last one mean. I have done all the routine stuff like new plugs and wires, new filters, and cleaning idle valves and such. Nothing has helped. it has 160k miles on it. I am imagining o2 sensors would help, but would like to know for sure before I shell out all that money. Is there a way to test the sensors? Any ideas? Thanks

After posting this and reading through the forum, this seems like a common problem. Maybe the 00m12 kit that is talked about so much could be the cure for me. The motor does have a rattling start upon startup as well. Where can i find this kit and how much should it cost me. I am more than a competent mechanic so the install doesnt scare me. Still I wonder about teh o2 sensors.

Sounds like you may have jumped a timing chain. Have your timing checked.

Do a compression test.

Back