• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Heading to my dealer tomorrow, they have the deflector to install. I'll post pictures of before & after. Dealer indicated the would take care of the installation, and we are working something out on the cost of the part.

TBill
My part is coming in at the end of the month. No cost to me for the part or the installation. Dealership said it should have definitely been there from the factory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
My part is coming in at the end of the month. No cost to me for the part or the installation. Dealership said it should have definitely been there from the factory.
Did the dealer check the parts list for your Explorer by VIN and verify it should have been there?

Peter

TBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
My rear air deflector was installed by my dealer today, he took care of the cost of the part.

TB

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
It’s really strange that all of the “media” and official Ford promo STs online are missing this air deflector. See YouTube video below.

I’m off work on paternity leave with more free time than I know what to do with and have spent the majority of the day on YouTube and looking at listings on cars.com and I cannot find a single ST with the rear air deflector. I’ve also found numerous Ford media images that are lacking the component.

I have found at least one ST listed on a dealer site that does have the rear deflector. See link below. (Dealership has 4 in stock, 3 without and 1 with)

2020 Ford Explorer ST in Madisonville, TX | Houston Ford Explorer | Henson Ford

Being an engineer at a large Fortune 500 company with some experience in assembly I find it much more likely that STs would not have this part and a few of them are getting it due to the new assembly line, inattentive workers, or production mixups.

With all that being said I’m still pushing my dealership for a response and I’m waiting on the service manager to respond when I was promised he would take care of it.

edit 07Feb: parts have been ordered, including tow hook

Last edited:

CoolDude919

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eyeing 2020 ST
Checked 2 more ST's at another local dealer, both missing air deflector. So out of 4 ive seen in my area, 3 were missing.
Build date - 9/25/19
Build date - 12/20/19

Havok33

Reaction score
City, State
Indy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Had deflector installed and picked up towing eye on Saturday, in and out in 30 minutes.

geronimo_jenkins

Reaction score
City, State
DFW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Had deflector installed and picked up towing eye on Saturday, in and out in 30 minutes.
Can you give us the part number of the air deflector they installed? Was it the same as the 11778 used on the Limited model?

TBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Go to page 1 of this tread, the part number is shown on the exploded view.

TB

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Can you give us the part number of the air deflector they installed? Was it the same as the 11778 used on the Limited model?
Full part number is L1MZ-7811778-A.

Peter

Dsle5403

Reaction score
City, State
Mondovi, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Picked up a new ST today. It was missing the deflector and tow eye.
After checking with parts my salesman said both should have been included. They are both on back order but once they get the parts will call me and install the deflector and give me the tow eye no charge.
Glad I seen this thread before buying as I'm sure it made this much easier so thanks to all that have posted.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I got a call from by salesman that sold me the ST, the air deflector is and should not be put on the ST trim. I asked him why? and he said that by the ST diagrams, it should not have it. I told them that I will go to a different dealership.Maybe there is a phone number that I can call to Ford directly to ask if it should be on ST or not.

AdrenalineJunky

Reaction score
City, State
Nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST.
My new "b" vin built 1/20/20 ST does NOT have the sound deadened. Neither did my A vin built 7/30/19 ST.

NEWPORTNJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
St, Pk
I got a call from by salesman that sold me the ST, the air deflector is and should not be put on the ST trim. I asked him why? and he said that by the ST diagrams, it should not have it. I told them that I will go to a different dealership.Maybe there is a phone number that I can call to Ford directly to ask if it should be on ST or not.
Only the selling dealer has to put it on. That is what Ford is going to tell you. That guy is wrong. I have an ST and i have it !

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My new "b" vin built 1/20/20 ST does NOT have the sound deadened. Neither did my A vin built 7/30/19 ST.
I am going in person to see my dealer. We will check out the new ST's on the lot and I will report back. I think it is BS that the cheap XLT gets it and with ST gets to suffer without an air deflector.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Only the selling dealer has to put it on. That is what Ford is going to tell you. That guy is wrong. I have an ST and i have it !
Yes, you have it now, but it didn't come from the factory that way. It seems that the only ones not coming with it are the St's. That still makes me wonder if in fact they should have it. Why of all the vehicles coming down the assembly line are the ST's the ones that are ones where the majority of those that don't have it installed?

Peter

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I am going in person to see my dealer. We will check out the new ST's on the lot and I will report back. I think it is BS that the cheap XLT gets it and with ST gets to suffer without an air deflector.
Perhaps there is a good reason it shouldn't have it. After all, the ST is a 'performance' vehicle, whereas the other trims are not. Of all the Explorers on my dealer's lot, only the ST didn't have the deflector. I'm still not convinced it should be there.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Will3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Perhaps there is a good reason it shouldn't have it. After all, the ST is a 'performance' vehicle, whereas the other trims are not. Of all the Explorers on my dealer's lot, only the ST didn't have the deflector. I'm still not convinced it should be there.

Peter
I would be inclined to agree if it weren't for fordparts.com (see post #30). It clearly shows the part is for the ST. My dealer agreed, and ordered the part after getting authorization from Ford. By the way, the part is now at my dealer so I'll be getting it installed soon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Missing Part? Hood insulation pad Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 64
C Missing Part? - Strut Tower Insulator Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 83
peterk9 Missing Part - Fuel Filler Funnel - Aviators Only? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 13
W Missing Part - towing eye Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 88
R Part Numbers? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 0
1 2020 ST rear cargo light Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 4
iTonyp Rear Defroster Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 2
C Rear Seat Entertainment Audio/Video Delay Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 0
L For Fun; What is in your Rear Storage Area??? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 8
L Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 134
R Noise From Rear Door Panels ST (cracking/popping) Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 7
V Rear view mirror Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 19
J Dual-headrest rear seat DVD entertainment system - after-market options? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 3
S Strange rear hatch - alarm issue Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 1
M Rear Brake Assist Feature Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 1
S Rear Captain Chairs Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 10