Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

A poster earlier said it wasn't on the build sheet for his VIN. That suggests they are pushing them out intentionally without the deflector.
My service manager said that the deflector was not on my VIN BOM. That could just mean they removed it off the as built BOM or someone screwed up the original BOM. My build date was back in July. My dealer did not offer to install it at their cost but I am going to have them call Ford based upon what I am seeing in here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone been able to get someone at Ford Corp or Ford Engineering to explain why (or why not) the deflector is missing from the ST?

Is anyone a member over on Blue Oval Forums and has posted the question there, because there’s Ford internal and assembly plant employees on that site - maybe someone has an answer OR can look into it further.

Also it could be possible it is a running production change where Ford has been known to either delete or add items as the production cycle ages.

Ford has been deleting numerous other things from its products as assembly changes to cut costs. For instance, the 2019 Mustang w/10R80 - early units came with the console shifter illumination, later units the illumination was deleted. Early 2019 Mustangs also came with dual horns, soon later the extra horn was eliminated.

Even some of the truck lines have had the hood insulator deleted during mid production.

I’d see if you guys can get an answer from someone within Ford (and not just a “chat” session with someone on the other end saying it was part of a build based on VIN). There has to be a distinct reason why the deflector is missing and more so, why is it more common to be missing off the ST model - all 2020’s are going down the SAME assembly line.

Has anyone been able to get someone at Ford Corp or Ford Engineering to explain why (or why not) the deflector is missing from the ST?

Is anyone a member over on Blue Oval Forums and has posted the question there, because there’s Ford internal and assembly plant employees on that site - maybe someone has an answer OR can look into it further.

Also it could be possible it is a running production change where Ford has been known to either delete or add items as the production cycle ages.

Ford has been deleting numerous other things from its products as assembly changes to cut costs. For instance, the 2019 Mustang w/10R80 - early units came with the console shifter illumination, later units the illumination was deleted. Early 2019 Mustangs also came with dual horns, soon later the extra horn was eliminated.

Even some of the truck lines have had the hood insulator deleted during mid production.

I’d see if you guys can get an answer from someone within Ford (and not just a “chat” session with someone on the other end saying it was part of a build based on VIN). There has to be a distinct reason why the deflector is missing and more so, why is it more common to be missing off the ST model - all 2020’s are going down the SAME assembly line.

I have posted a list of issues including the deflector at BON and some of the internals just shake their head at the disgust of this launch. Nobody will have answers there.

OK, What the heck is BON?

Got it:)

Does this work for all of you? I get the message that the window sticker has not been released for my vehicle.
It still works for me. Note that after a period of time it will no longer work and give you that message. Mine was built in October.

Peter

OK, got a note this morning from my dealer regarding the rear air deflector. They don't think the Platinum has a deflector because of the trailer hitch. Anybody with evidence to the contrary? Maybe an ST also? and a Photo

OK, got a note this morning from my dealer regarding the rear air deflector. They don't think the Platinum has a deflector because of the trailer hitch. Anybody with evidence to the contrary? Maybe an ST also? and a Photo
My Aviator has the tow package and the deflector. Also, check out post #63.

Peter

Sounds like you've got my car's twin, except for the wiper blades. Maybe I discover it when it rains next time. You can probably fix the wander by deflating the tires to the posted number...32 or 33. Every time I take mine to the shop it comes back with 35 to 40 lbs. It rides like a rock and chases every line in the road. I have read here that some of the dealers don't bother with the factory pressure and leave you with more than 40lbs. Mine for example. Tomorrow is my day to call the Ford number for the suspension noise.
You didn't mention the rear air deflector. You've got one?

My ST was built 8/19.
I do not have the rear deflector installed.
I had the dealer check tire pressures when they did the 4 wheel alignment. I just drove the car so I will check tire pressures in the morning when everything is cool.

I wonder if the air deflector somehow interferes with the hands-free opening function of the lift gate? Is a sensor located between the mufflers?

Good point. Can anyone answer his question ?

Good point. Can anyone answer his question ?

I had posted previously that the Limited's have the air deflector and they had the tow hitch installed so that would not be the case.

After a few weeks of back and forth emails, including links to this discussion and a call to Ford 800 number, today my service manager confirmed that the air deflector is on back order and when it arrives it will be installed for me and the towing eye is also there waiting for me. It was helpful to have part numbers provided in this forum for them to investigate. They did not even ask to inspect my vehicle, which is less than 2 months old. Then again why would I lie about these missing unexciting yet important parts! LOL Thanks to those who provided invaluable information here and best of luck to others still trying to have this resolved!

Went to dealer today and had the DEFLECTOR installed on vehicle free of charge. It was quick and easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just emailed the dealer about both of these issues. Hopefully I can refer them to this thread if they give me any **** about it. Took pics to show them and used the diagrams from this forum in the email. Thanks to everyone for their efforts.

EDIT: and by both I mean the air deflector and the tow hook eye / hook suport.

Back