Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

I say. I am a Ford fan for 20 plus years , but since Ford has that new CEO James Hackett who's biggest accomplishment with his prior job was shipping the company to Mexico to save money. It's time for him and Bill Ford to move on and bring Allan Mulally who saved the Explorer and had Redesigned, he was also with Boeing and we see what has happened with Boeing lately since he left. Bill Ford with all do respect has to leave as well, if let's this continue.... Ford has to step up.

Hackett spent thirty years with the Grand Rapids-based office furniture company Steelcase. He joined Steelcase in 1981, holding a variety of sales and marketing positions. In 1994, Hackett was named CEO at age 39, making him the youngest leader in the history of the company. He held the position for nearly twenty years before retiring in 2014. During his tenure, Steelcase eliminated nearly 12,000 employees as part of a downsizing and restructuring of the business;[5] he also led the company to acquire a majority stake in IDEO in 1996.[6] During this time Hackett became a proponent of design thinking, which focuses on how humans experience a product.[6] Hackett stayed on as vice chairman of the company from 2014 to 2015.[5

Alan Mulally was hired by Boeing immediately out of college in 1969 as an engineer. He held a number of engineering and program management positions, making contributions to the Boeing 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 and Boeing 777projects. He led the ****pit design team on the 757/767 project. Its revolutionary design featured the first all-digital flight deck in a commercial aircraft, the second two-man crew for long range aircraft after the Airbus A300, and a common type rating for pilots on two different aircraft. He worked on the 777 program first as director of engineering and, from September 1992, as vice-president and general manager.[14]

He was later named as Vice President of Engineering for the commercial airplane group. He is known and recognized for elevating Phil Condit's "Working Together" philosophy through and beyond the 777 program. In 1994, Mulally was promoted to senior vice president of Airplane Development and was in charge of all airplane development activities, flight test operations, certification, and government technical liaison. In 1997, Mulally became the president of the Boeing Information, Space & Defense Systems and senior vice president.[15] He held this position until 1998 when he was made president of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, Chief Executive Officer duties were added in 2001.[14]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rear air deflector was installed by my dealer today, he took care of the cost of the part.

TB

It’s really strange that all of the “media” and official Ford promo STs online are missing this air deflector. See YouTube video below.

I’m off work on paternity leave with more free time than I know what to do with and have spent the majority of the day on YouTube and looking at listings on cars.com and I cannot find a single ST with the rear air deflector. I’ve also found numerous Ford media images that are lacking the component.

I have found at least one ST listed on a dealer site that does have the rear deflector. See link below. (Dealership has 4 in stock, 3 without and 1 with)

2020 Ford Explorer ST in Madisonville, TX | Houston Ford Explorer | Henson Ford

Being an engineer at a large Fortune 500 company with some experience in assembly I find it much more likely that STs would not have this part and a few of them are getting it due to the new assembly line, inattentive workers, or production mixups.

With all that being said I’m still pushing my dealership for a response and I’m waiting on the service manager to respond when I was promised he would take care of it.

edit 07Feb: parts have been ordered, including tow hook

Checked 2 more ST's at another local dealer, both missing air deflector. So out of 4 ive seen in my area, 3 were missing.
Build date - 9/25/19
Build date - 12/20/19

Had deflector installed and picked up towing eye on Saturday, in and out in 30 minutes.

Had deflector installed and picked up towing eye on Saturday, in and out in 30 minutes.
Can you give us the part number of the air deflector they installed? Was it the same as the 11778 used on the Limited model?

Go to page 1 of this tread, the part number is shown on the exploded view.

TB

Can you give us the part number of the air deflector they installed? Was it the same as the 11778 used on the Limited model?
Full part number is L1MZ-7811778-A.

Peter

Picked up a new ST today. It was missing the deflector and tow eye.
After checking with parts my salesman said both should have been included. They are both on back order but once they get the parts will call me and install the deflector and give me the tow eye no charge.
Glad I seen this thread before buying as I'm sure it made this much easier so thanks to all that have posted.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I got a call from by salesman that sold me the ST, the air deflector is and should not be put on the ST trim. I asked him why? and he said that by the ST diagrams, it should not have it. I told them that I will go to a different dealership.Maybe there is a phone number that I can call to Ford directly to ask if it should be on ST or not.

My new "b" vin built 1/20/20 ST does NOT have the sound deadened. Neither did my A vin built 7/30/19 ST.

I got a call from by salesman that sold me the ST, the air deflector is and should not be put on the ST trim. I asked him why? and he said that by the ST diagrams, it should not have it. I told them that I will go to a different dealership.Maybe there is a phone number that I can call to Ford directly to ask if it should be on ST or not.
Only the selling dealer has to put it on. That is what Ford is going to tell you. That guy is wrong. I have an ST and i have it !

My new "b" vin built 1/20/20 ST does NOT have the sound deadened. Neither did my A vin built 7/30/19 ST.

I am going in person to see my dealer. We will check out the new ST's on the lot and I will report back. I think it is BS that the cheap XLT gets it and with ST gets to suffer without an air deflector.

Only the selling dealer has to put it on. That is what Ford is going to tell you. That guy is wrong. I have an ST and i have it !
Yes, you have it now, but it didn't come from the factory that way. It seems that the only ones not coming with it are the St's. That still makes me wonder if in fact they should have it. Why of all the vehicles coming down the assembly line are the ST's the ones that are ones where the majority of those that don't have it installed?

Peter

I am going in person to see my dealer. We will check out the new ST's on the lot and I will report back. I think it is BS that the cheap XLT gets it and with ST gets to suffer without an air deflector.
Perhaps there is a good reason it shouldn't have it. After all, the ST is a 'performance' vehicle, whereas the other trims are not. Of all the Explorers on my dealer's lot, only the ST didn't have the deflector. I'm still not convinced it should be there.

Peter

Perhaps there is a good reason it shouldn't have it. After all, the ST is a 'performance' vehicle, whereas the other trims are not. Of all the Explorers on my dealer's lot, only the ST didn't have the deflector. I'm still not convinced it should be there.

Peter

I would be inclined to agree if it weren't for fordparts.com (see post #30). It clearly shows the part is for the ST. My dealer agreed, and ordered the part after getting authorization from Ford. By the way, the part is now at my dealer so I'll be getting it installed soon.

Peter

This makes sense to me. It mirrors what I see on my dealer's lot, and is in line with Ford continuing to produce STs in January w/o the deflector.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This makes sense to me. It mirrors what I see on my dealer's lot, and is in line with Ford continuing to produce STs in January w/o the deflector.
If you look a bit further back in this thread, the Platinums with the 3.0 TT V6 were also missing this part. It wasn't just the ST. When I looked on a local Ford dealer lot, XLT and Limited 2.3 models all had deflectors and all 3.0 models did not.

Back