Missing Part? - Strut Tower Insulator | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part? - Strut Tower Insulator

Smart move ! Still wondering why they call it an insulator. It can't cut down that much noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference in noise.

But here in WI we have been shut down since it was installed. So not many miles on after that.

That strut tower "insulator" looks to be made out of the same material as the hood lining or battery insulators that Ford has used over the years. What that means is after time and plenty of moisture, it's going to basically rot away or just look awful. Really doesn't look like much, but since Ford did see fit to put it there, must be some reason for it. One of the ST's I'm looking at doesn't have it, but I don't think I'd put any thought in to acquiring it.

Stock image:

2020-Ford-Explorer-ST-engine-1.jpg

I've actually seen it finally. It is cut and press formed from the same material as the fender well panels, so it isn't going to rot away in our lifetime. :)

I've actually seen it finally. It is cut and press formed from the same material as the fender well panels, so it isn't going to rot away in our lifetime. :)

Good to know. Hard to tell from the pictures I've seen, but considering it's only a $35 part, I wasn't expecting much. If the one I buy doesn't have it, probably won't worry.

I bought it just to have it. I doubt any of us will notice a reduction in engine compartment sound. Hummmm, wonder if it will fit my wife ? ;)

Just looked at a new ST today that I'm probably picking up on Wednesday, which was built in mid-February. No insulator (or lower deflector either). Will be glad if they cover it, especially for the cost of these. Can't wait, though!

20200406_145747.jpg

Do like I did, tell your salesman about it before you sign the papers. My salesman had the parts on order before I left with the ST. It may take a while to get the parts with so many things shut down right now.

Do like I did, tell your salesman about it before you sign the papers. My salesman had the parts on order before I left with the ST. It may take a while to get the parts with so many things shut down right now.
The issue is many didn’t realize stuff was missing, and never would have, without people posting here.

The issue is many didn’t realize stuff was missing, and never would have, without people posting here.

My reply was the the person looking to buy one and he is aware of the missing parts just like I was. Don't think your comment applies to what I said.

Yes, I'll make sure it's taken care of. They already know how picky I am about the documents, and since the parts department will have the HVBoM printed for me, I'm sure the deal for these two items will be a cinch. Definitely glad it had been discovered by others and posted here - a forum that came through!

Might be perfect in your mind!
What I said was perfectly logical, and sensible. Had you actually quoted who you were referring to, I would have known and not bothered to comment.

Just looked at a new ST today that I'm probably picking up on Wednesday, which was built in mid-February. No insulator (or lower deflector either). Will be glad if they cover it, especially for the cost of these. Can't wait, though!
Did you check for the towing eye?

Mine shipped today from Levittown Ford. Benny made sure to include the 3 push pins. A shout out to Benny and the entire crew at Levittown. They rock !

Came today. Easy install except for the lower push pin. The hole is so far down in the engine compartment a step stool is needed to get up high enough to reach over and down to insert that last push pin.
Thanks Benny.

Do we have the part number for the insulator and the bolts/pins/clips/retainers to install it?

Do we have the part number for the insulator and the bolts/pins/clips/retainers to install it?
L1MZ-3C078-A as per post #43. I'm guessing the hardware is included.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is it. Benny ordered mine along with the three push pins. The insulator is on backorder which figures. Guess I'll put the baggie with the push pins in the front console compartment so I don't loose them.

Do you by chance have the part number for the push pins?

Back