• Register Today It's free!

Missing second gear after tune?

Ckslice71

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer sport
Shortly after installing the 93oct livernois tune. My car sometimes misses second gear. Either it overrevs causing a black cloud or just free revs for a second before it catches. It only happens at WOT. Normal driving is fine. Just an fyi I do have a cold air intake, throttle body spacer and cat back exhaust.
I have not installed the plugs that came with the kit yet and my transmission is due for new fluids. Kinda hoping that might be the issue. Or maybe it’s a software issue with the tune.
Any ideas?
Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New fluid doesn’t fix transmission issues. It’s certainly not going to fix a second gear only issue.

Shortly after installing the 93oct livernois tune. My car sometimes misses second gear. Either it overrevs causing a black cloud or just free revs for a second before it catches. It only happens at WOT. Normal driving is fine. Just an fyi I do have a cold air intake, throttle body spacer and cat back exhaust.
I have not installed the plugs that came with the kit yet and my transmission is due for new fluids. Kinda hoping that might be the issue. Or maybe it’s a software issue with the tune.
Any ideas?
Thanks guys!
Have you tried contacting Livernois about this?

Peter

Put the stock tune back on it. Honestly Livernois is overpriced for what you get... Much better options out there now. I'd look at GearHead tunes

Get an obd2 adapter with forscan so you can monitor the vehicle properly especially while tuned

The first time it would of done that I would of reinstalled the factory tune to narrow down my issue. Livernois makes some good stuff but their performance tunes never impressed me.

Any ideas?
Thanks guys!

Personally, I don't trust anything from Livernois. My first experience with them was with an underdrive pulley for my 08' G8, where they sent the wrong accessory belt, which cost me over $100. (diff. belt and time to procure) to which they reimbursed me for the original belt only after I returned it to them. A good friend swore by them until they blew up his 3.5 TT in his SHO, when it was in their possession for several months, and then blaimed him, when they were the ones who were working on it. A $10,000.+ mistake.....

If this tune has 2 parts, ie one for the engine and another for the tranny, go back to your stock tune and then just download the engine part until you can get your tranny fluid changed. Livernois will blame the tranny fluid, even though it's most likely some hiccup in the tune, unless you do everything they require or suggest.

Personally, I would be dealing with Torrie at Unleashed Tuning. He did my Flex TT, which was the first to get into the 12's. While my 2020 ST isn't tuned cause it's leased, thinking I might buy at lease end in April, so will have him do a tune if I do.

Back