Missing Shifts on Transmission

wjohnstone74

Reaction score
City, State
Sudbury, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer V8
Hi All,

First time poster, but use the site a lot for various issues I have had with my 2003 Ford Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer. I've had it for 4 years, and replaced the transmission 1.5 years ago.

Now, with 163Km on it, the transmission is coming out of gear. While I'm accelerating and the transmission goes to shift, it is like it goes into neutral and free revs for a couple of seconds before going into the next gear. It doesn't appear to be slipping or missing the shift, just a free rev for a second or three before dropping back into gear. This seems to happen between 2-3, 3-4, but it just did it today so I haven't noticed a pattern. Yesterday, the engine was serging while stopped at various stop lights, it never did that before either and I have no idea if it is related or not.

There is no oil leaking (I have a new paved driveway I would notice) and all fluids and filters were replace with the new transmission about 25000km ago. There are no warning lights or alarms at this point. Last time the transmission went the OD light was blinking and it wouldn't lock the torque converter.

I'm hoping maybe a solenoid? I tried searching but can't find this particular problem. I'm not overly enthused about replacing the transmission again either.

Thank you.

Nevermind. Another "catastrophic" failure in just over a year. Really. Two transmissions on a truck rated to tow 7500lbs. I pull my four wheeler. About 1000lbs including the trailer. Good luck with your explorer everyone. I'm calling Ford with an official complaint, I know they won't do anything but at least I can vent.

The 5R series of transmissions are horrible!

Back