Missing some ooomphhhh! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing some ooomphhhh!

I justed plugged in my scanner and got the following codes: P0135, P0720 and P0113... I'll be changing the upstream O2 sensors so that should do away with the P0135 and P0113... But what's P0720?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I know P0720 refers to the output speed sensor. I'm looking for one on the rockauto catalogue to order with the o2 sensors

Tires will make a difference, as will new o2s. When i moved up to 265/75/16s I noticed it was slower. With that being said it is still faster than a blazer is, but I have 4.10s. A 265/70 isn't all that large, it shouldn't totally kill you. The axle code is on the door sticker.

Tires will make a difference, as will new o2s. When i moved up to 265/75/16s I noticed it was slower. With that being said it is still faster than a blazer is, but I have 4.10s. A 265/70 isn't all that large, it shouldn't totally kill you. The axle code is on the door sticker.

Thanks! That makes sense. The axle gear ratio is 3.73. Ordering the O2s this afternoon.

You need to change gears.

I currently have 255/70/16 on my Ex. Your 265/70/16 tires are approx. 1/2 inch taller than mine and heavier. If you do actually have 3.73 gears then that is on the high end of what you need for that size tire. I am going from a 3.55 to a 4.10 ratio very soon to compensate for the taller tire/more weight and to give mine a little more pep. And don't forget to get the speedo recalibrated.

I currently have 255/70/16 on my Ex. Your 265/70/16 tires are approx. 1/2 inch taller than mine and heavier.

Yup :)

And don't forget to get the speedo recalibrated.

Speedo recalibration in Spain is impossible unless I fork out $$$ on buying the recalibration unit myself. But I'll start by getting a new VSS

Monitoring real time data with the scanner reported a constant 0 Volts on both bank1 and 2 O2 sensors (fuel trim was a constant -100%). I guess that would mean they are toast. Could there be any other reasons for this? TIA

Based on reading in other parts of the forum, I guess disconnecting the MAF will force the PCM to use a "default" air/fuel map ignoring the incorrect O2 sensor readings. Am I correct? This could be an interim fix while I wait for new O2 sensors to arrive (next week).

2 sensors being "dead" at once is rare. I suspect the wiring.

a couple things to check are the 02 sensor harness where it goes down above the transmission, look for chaffing, or contact with the exhaust.

Also, look for a small " wear line" on the front drive shaft. It is not uncommon to find the 02 sensor harness rubbing on it, causing a shorted circuit to ground.

Also, make sure the sensor connectors are fully seated, or a pin is not pushed back in the connector housing.

I suspect a short somewhere in the sensor harness.

Another thought,
re seating all the connectors in the circuit might help. Also check the main pcm harness connection, look for any pins put of line and reconnect it tightly if all checks good.

I'd make sure the voltage is there before springing for new sensors just to come back to this spot.

Another thought,
re seating all the connectors in the circuit might help. Also check the main pcm harness connection, look for any pins put of line and reconnect it tightly if all checks good.

I'd make sure the voltage is there before springing for new sensors just to come back to this spot.

Good point! Getting to the connectors is so awkward I foresee it's not going to be easy to get a multimeter up there, but if others have managed so can I :)

I disconnected Bank2, Sensor1 and ran the engine for a bit, after a minute it tripped a P0155, so I guess the wiring to that connector is fine.

I also ohmed the two white wires and recorded some resistance, so I presume the heater filameter in Bank2, Sensor1 is working.

Bank1, Sensor1 had already tripped a P0135 so I guess the wiring to that connector is also fine.

I'm currently waiting for the exhaust on Bank2 side to cool down enough so I can reconnect the sensor and I'll use the sewing needle technique to test for current signals on the various wires

I used the sewing needle technique on Bank2, Sensor1 and got a sine wave type readout bouncing voltages between .25 and .75

So, if its working properly and the wiring is ok (it threw a P0155 only when I disconnected it), then why am I not seeing it in my real time data scan?

I didn't bother doing the same tests with Bank1, Sensor1 as I know that one is bad. Though I did try to disconnect it from multiple angles without any success. I've read it is easier to get to if I remove the passenger front wheel and mud flaps. That will require me buying more tools (jack and jack stands), which will have to wait until next week.

OK, read through this procedure, and see how much better your access is this way, without jack stands.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209770&highlight=center+console

I'm sorry. I am really glad I've got you to help me. Regarding the center console stuff I will try it but I don't understand how removing it and accessing the transmission area from above is going to help me, when the O2 Bank1, Sensor1 is plugged straight into a connection right behind cyl #3 (in the same way that Bank2, Sensor1 is connected right behind cyl #6). Please help me understand. TIA

attachment.php

One connetor is on the left side, the other 3 are there ^^^

I *only* have 2 sensors: 1 on driver side before the catalytic converter and the wire goes up into the engine bay and connects behind cylinder6. The other sensor is on the passenger side and the wire goes up into the engine bay and connects behind cylinder3. How would the center console thing help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think posting a picture might help explain myself better, so I got under the car and took a couple of shots. Picture yourself under the car, head towards the front, feet towards the rear. Passenger front wheel to the left of your head and look up. This is what I see:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1164...95993389762929/5691996263670735218?banner=pwa

(notice the black wire sheath going up from the sensor into the engine bay)

https://plus.google.com/photos/1164...95993389762929/5691996384512278402?banner=pwa

(notice the white tip of the connector at the back; it is right up in the engine bay area between the firewall and cyl #3)

Back