Missing/Studdering - Ignition or ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing/Studdering - Ignition or ?

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
Yesterday my truck starting bucking as I was driving, like it was missing really bad, almost as if I was turning ignition off/on, really noticable in a 5spd.

Seems to idle fine, and will accel fine up to 4K if it doesn't start missing, once it starts I have to let of gas or it feels like my drivetrain is going to fall out. Prior, between gears it did seem to hesitate/stumble slightly when RPM fell and gas applied. Also, occasionally on a hot start, after sitting 10-15 mintutes it would idle rough, almost as if flooded..... Mileage seems to be good, still getting usual 275-300 miles a tank, did run out of gas a couple weeks ago with about 330/tank about a block from station.

First thought was plugs or fuel filter. Changed plugs and no improvement. Then I thought maybe ignition pack, or somehting along those lines..

Any thoughts?

Fuel filter or fuel pump.
mine did the same thing so since my fuel gauge was not working either, I changed them both and the problem went away.
I would start with the filter, sometimes if you run them out of fuel it can pick up the dirt in the bottom of the tank, or if the pump could go bad because the fuel is what cools it and if it doesn't have any fuel in the tank it can get hot and go out.

Back