Mistery Transmission leak...???

mandopr77

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer Sport 4x4
I have a 92 Explorer Sport and.....
I seem to be leaking transmission fluid from somewhere other than under the transmission. There are never puddles of transmission fluid under the Explorer.
I check the fluid every once in a while and its always 1 quart low (bi-weekly basis). Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem on my xlt. easy fix. replace the vacuum modulator on the right side of the tranny. the diaphram is leaking causing fluid to be sucked into the engine vacuum then burned in the cyl. the best way to get to it is pull back the carpet, remove access plate on top of tunnel and its right there. it took me about 45 min. to finish. been 6 months and no more vanishing fluid yet. good luck.

lostcajun said:
i had the same problem on my xlt. easy fix. replace the vacuum modulator on the right side of the tranny. the diaphram is leaking causing fluid to be sucked into the engine vacuum then burned in the cyl. the best way to get to it is pull back the carpet, remove access plate on top of tunnel and its right there. it took me about 45 min. to finish. been 6 months and no more vanishing fluid yet. good luck.

I knew it! I thought thats what it was cause the other day i changed my plugs and they had tranny fluid on them. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks alot dude! :chug:

I bought the vacuum modulator today. I will install it at let you know how it went. :)

Well I installed the modulator by pealing back the carpet and using the access panel. It was still very tight, but there would be no easier way. It took me about an 1 1/2 hours to do. Only because I kept having problems and nothing ever goes smooth for me. The truck seems to actually run and shift alot better too. I guess I will find out if it really fixed it in about a week or so.

Thanks again for your help!!! :burnout:

glad i could help. you may want to run some sea foam or other cleaner through the engine. clean out all the burnt tranny fluid in the cyls. my x ran even better after cleaning it. just turned 200.000 and still gettin it. :chug:

Back