• Register Today It's free!

Mixing different Sub sizes??

rappo26

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
I recently did a nice little starter system in my 97 Mounty. Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's, MTX 12" sub with 600w kenwood amp. The bridged rms on the amp is about 300w. When completed, the system sounded good. Good clear high notes, great vocals, and nice bass. But after a while, the bass just wouldn't get loud enough for me, and when I lowered the gain to the speakers, the bass just sounded messy.

So I've listened to some other systems. I like the punch and clarity of a well powered 10" sub. I like how it sounds like theres a bass drum in the back. However its not as powerful sounding as a 12."

So here's my question: Would I be able to get away with having a 10" sub (or 2) that are high-powered, mixed with a 12 or even 15. I would probably set it up to be able to drop gain on the 12 or 15 so that it wouldnt drone out the 10.

Would this be pointless? Or if the 10 was tuned loud enough, would I hear 2 different bass notes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is recommend NOT to mix sub sizes. Remember that when you mix sizes or brands or type of box (sealed,ported) that you not only get the benifits of both but you also get the downside of both.

What kind of box is your 12" in. Ported/Sealed/bandpass? Is it a custom box, or is it prefab? A selaed box will sound tighter and is more musical. A ported will be louder and looses some of the cleanness. (There is exceptions to the rule)

Your best bet if you like the sound of you current 12" and just want more, as we all do. Is to add another 12" and build a box to the manufacture's specs.

my sub now is just in a sealed q-logic.

I may just add another sub... or get a more powerful one, with a better amp.

Now what would the differece between a ported 10" and a sealed 12"??

Seems like that may be a similar sound?

It is recommend NOT to mix sub sizes. Remember that when you mix sizes or brands or type of box (sealed,ported) that you not only get the benifits of both but you also get the downside of both.

What kind of box is your 12" in. Ported/Sealed/bandpass? Is it a custom box, or is it prefab? A selaed box will sound tighter and is more musical. A ported will be louder and looses some of the cleanness. (There is exceptions to the rule)

Your best bet if you like the sound of you current 12" and just want more, as we all do. Is to add another 12" and build a box to the manufacture's specs.

Kind of true. The f/s in relation to the way different tones are played will create cancellation within your low range. The best bet is to play with matched woofers (or at least motor systems) to insure matching thiele small parameters (things that make your woofer what it is).

my sub now is just in a sealed q-logic.

I may just add another sub... or get a more powerful one, with a better amp.

Now what would the differece between a ported 10" and a sealed 12"??

Seems like that may be a similar sound?

Simply put, your output from a ported woofer is dropped ten hz below the tuning frequency, which makes it difficult to use for SQ purposes. Your sealed system will play evenly through a set range, depending on the stability of the woofer. Any ideas as to what you're looking for?

Well maybe I won't know what I want until i hear it.

I want to be able to really crank my music, have the vocal be loud and clear, and the bass to be rediculous. I want to be able to p!ss my neighbors off (who live a 1/4 mile away). I think I'd like the stereo to sound as if I'm at a concert.

I like having a 12, I like the thump and the loudness... its just a little sloppy. But if I do a new system I'd like to be able to go louder, and clearer. So maybe a high powered, sealed 10 (or 2) is the way to go. Or maybe just one good 12 (I don't really know how good mtx is... seems like a middle of the road).

With the propers amp, sub, box, and tuning... could I get good clarity out of a 12? Or does its size mean its always going to have that sloppy reverb?

Maybe I'll consider this for the new system...

Components in the front. Something like Inphinity Kappas in the rear.

For the sub, either ill drop a good 12 in the q-logic box and pair it with a good amp... or i'll build a new box and put 2 - 10's in it.

For cranking hard rock, what would sound better (sub wise)?

Well maybe I won't know what I want until i hear it.

I want to be able to really crank my music, have the vocal be loud and clear, and the bass to be rediculous. I want to be able to p!ss my neighbors off (who live a 1/4 mile away). I think I'd like the stereo to sound as if I'm at a concert.

I like having a 12, I like the thump and the loudness... its just a little sloppy. But if I do a new system I'd like to be able to go louder, and clearer. So maybe a high powered, sealed 10 (or 2) is the way to go. Or maybe just one good 12 (I don't really know how good mtx is... seems like a middle of the road).

With the propers amp, sub, box, and tuning... could I get good clarity out of a 12? Or does its size mean its always going to have that sloppy reverb?

A decent quality, well crossed over and tuned 18" woofer will have the same relative response as an 8" woofer. If the bass is sloppy, look into an amplifier with a better damping factor.

Maybe I'll consider this for the new system...

Components in the front. Something like Inphinity Kappas in the rear.

For the sub, either ill drop a good 12 in the q-logic box and pair it with a good amp... or i'll build a new box and put 2 - 10's in it.

For cranking hard rock, what would sound better (sub wise)?
Anything, if the install is acceptable. What is the price range you are willing to deal with?

There's no reason that you can mix sub sizes but I would make sure they are divided in the enclosure or else the box obviously won;t be built to specs. A ported box is much louder than a sealed box but has the added advantage of being able to be tuned to your liking. You can tune low and get the best of both worlds. Your sub will sound like **** if the ported box isn't made to specs. Two 10's have more cone area than 1 12 so therefore will get louder and hit harder given that they are the same type of sub with the same kind of power running to them, and the same kind of enclosure.

Back