mjenk430 02 Sport Trac SAS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mjenk430 02 Sport Trac SAS

OK, I've been snooping around here for the last month or so doing research for my SAS. Today I bought my 87 waggy axle (from "they pull" junkyard), so I thought it was time to start a build thread. Last weekend I bought a 74 waggy axle (from "you pull" junkyard) and stripped the flat-top knuckles, spindles, and outer shafts. Prepare yourself for dumb questions from me and a long build. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the two axles.

Here is my parts list so far. Please, please, please let me know if I've made any mistakes in my choices or if you see any places I could save some money. Or any major expenses I've overlooked.

I'm not going to deal with any lockers, gears, or front drive shaft until I get the truck back on the road after the swap.

Purchased To Date (5/9/11)

Junkyard
86 Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44 Axle (Narrow Trac) = 262.50
Flat Top Knuckles, Outer Shafts, Spindles, & Spring Plates from 74 Wagoneer = 105.00
Steering Box, Pitman Arm, and Steering Rod from Gen 2 Explorer = 26.00
Total = 393.50

Amazon
Raybestos 66297R Rotor/Hub x2 = 197.50
Warn Premium Hubs PN 20990 = 94.52
Shipping = 0.00
Total = 292.02

Rock Auto
Spindle Bearing Kit Timken SBK1 x2 = 19.42
Wheel Bearing (Inner) Timken Set37 x2 = 18.82
Wheel Bearing (Outer) Timken Set45 x2 = 17.08
Wheel Seal Timken 4250 x2 = 6.94
Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip Raybestos H5408 x4 = 2.80
Caliper, Right Raybestos FRC4064 = 22.79
Caliper, Left Raybestos FRC4063 = 22.79
Brake Pads Raybestos ATD52M = 40.79
Explorer Forum Discount = 7.57
Shipping = 38.46
Total = 182.32

Sky Manufacturing
Dana 44 Knuckle Ball Joints x2 = 98.00
Dana 44 Knuckle Machining (Keyed) = 55.00
High Steer Arm (Tall) Pass. Side (Keyed) = 99.00
High Steer Install/Stud Kit = 39.00
Dana 44 Ball Joint Tool = 12.00
Shipping = 52.41
Total = 355.41

Ebay (Seller = drivelinesource)
Spicer 5-760x U-Joint x2 = 38.00
Shipping = 9.00
Total = 47.00

BJ’s Off-Road
TT’s Fabworks: Spring Over Axle Kit = 95.00
Shipping = 21.07
Total = 116.07

Sky Manufacturing
Chevy S-10 Solid Axle Hanger Kit = 219.00
Toyota Front Shock Hoops = 69.00
Shipping = 54.60
Total = 342.60

Ballistic Fabrication
Steering Kit (Tie Rod Ends, tube adapters, and tube for tie rods) = 246.99
Shock Tabs = 3.96
Pirate 4x4 Discount = -25.10
Shipping = 63.77
Total = 289.62

Not Yet Purchased

Frontier 4x4
Trail-Gear Heavy Duty Front Leaf Springs (Pair) = 255.55
Shipping = 80.44
Total = 335.99

Adapt-It USA
Wheel Adapters (Rear) 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 Adapter = 114.50
Shipping = 0.00
Total = 114.50

Randy’s Ring & Pinion
Yukon YG D44-488 = 203.40
Yukon Open Carrier Case YC D706025 = 62.95
Install Kit ??? = ???
Yukon F8.8-488 = 265.17
Install Kit ??? = ???
Shipping = ???
Total = ???

Wheels 18x10 (5x5.5) ??? = ???

Shocks ??? = ???

Brake Lines ??? = ???

Front Drive Shaft ??? = ???

I still need to do some more research for the wheels. I need to make sure they will fit with the warn manual hubs. It is hard to find an 18x10 wheel for my 36x15.50R18 M/T MTZ's.

I have a 96 ford ranger 2wd in my backyard just sitting (past abandoned project, bagged and dropped :rolleyes:). Will the steering box, pitman arm, and steering rod out of the ranger work for my swap?

OK. Get ready for the dumb questions. I have a mechanic buddy who told me that if I went to manual hubs I might have to change something in the transfer case? What was he talking about?

Also, I read on some parts website that with the warn hubs on the waggy axle, to "use the correct spindle nut kit". Any idea what that's about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to have one made. Oh yeah, more pic's, more pic's form the front, side, etc. when you get a chance thanks.

I'm starting to really look for parts and gonna start stock-piling my parts for my SAS, SOA come this summer. Really getting itchy to do the build but need to get my wife another vehicle so I can get my Trac back.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Chad had his Superlift driveshaft modified so you should be able to as well.

You should be able to have one made. Oh yeah, more pic's, more pic's form the front, side, etc. when you get a chance thanks.

I'm starting to really look for parts and gonna start stock-piling my parts for my SAS, SOA come this summer. Really getting itchy to do the build but need to get my wife another vehicle so I can get my Trac back.

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your stock-piling. I thought the same thing. "Hmm, I'll just see if I can find that waggy axle for now" "Well, I found the axle, guess I can order some of the parts to start putting that together." Before I knew it, out came the plasma cutter and there is no turning back now. :)

Brief update but no more pics right now, sorry: After many hours of grinding I finally have both frame rails completely clean, no signs of any of the previous IFS brackets. I'm in the process of fabbing some "custom" u-bolt plates. Ordered my new leaf springs (Trail-Gear HD 3" lift springs), should be in Tues or Wed. Once I get those I will decide the rear hangers final location and gusset/box-in the mounts. Still waiting on the backordered steering kit from Ballistic Fab. :rolleyes: I called last Monday and they said they were waiting on tie-rod ends and it should ship this past Thurs or Fri. *Fingers Crossed* I should call them again tomorrow and check.

I had no success in finding new 18x10 wheels with a 5x5.5 pattern so that I could keep my current tires. So, my old wheels and tires (with 90%+ tread life) have been put up for sale on Craigslist. If anyone on here is interested, let me know (More info here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317529 ). Once they sell, I think I'm going to go with Nitto Mud Grapplers 37x15.0R16 on a 16x10 wheel. But until my old tires/wheels sell, on the front I will be rolling around on some "stock-looking" steel wheels (painted white) with some ~29" stock sized tires that I found laying around in my cousin's woods bolted to a ford 9" rear. And on the back, my stock wheels and tires.

I'm looking for a dropped pitman arm for my explorer steering box. Are they pretty much interchangeable between different vehicles (Jeep, Ford, Chevy) or do I have to get one specifically for a explorer or ranger?

Anyone know where I can purchase a reamer for the pitman arm? I did a quick google search, but didn't have much luck finding one.

I'm pretty sure you need an RBV specific pitman arm but most major lift kit companies make them, i'd start with Skyjacker or Superlift.

Not the only source out there but the the first one that comes to mind is Parts Mike:http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=226&rn=1382&action=show_detail

Thanks for the info and the link. I started looking around the Parts Mike Website and found this pitman arm: PM1104A Pitman Arm 3.5" drop large draglink ES2027Ll taper

It's already reamed out for the larger draglink end. Will this work with my 2nd Gen Explorer steering box? If so, I won't need to buy a reamer (which is almost as expensive as the pitman arm).

Not sure if it is the right one because its PN is 1104. Superlift's PN for the explorer is 1109, not 1104. Superlift's 1104 pitman arm says its for 78-79 Ford. Does anyone know if both will work on the 2nd Gen Explorer steering box?

Here's the info from Superlift:
5790635926_e3c787a6e4_z.jpg

The 2nd gen explorer has a steering rack did you mean to say the first gen which are the 91-94s? The 91-94s share the same box as rangers up to 97, bronco IIs, fullsize broncos and f150-350s from 1980 to the mid 90s and a few others. I dont believe that you can put an arm meant for a saginaw type box (chevy, jeep, scout, etc...) onto a ford box because the master splines are 45 degrees off. When I put the wagoneer pitman arm on my ford box I had to file out the master splines so that I could align the arm correctly, but I also had to file all the splines deeper because the arm wouldnt fit on the ford splines. I've seen this question posted a few times and some people say it will work no problem and others say it wont, I've never seen a definitive answer but I know it didnt bolt right up for me. Call up Parts Mike and see what he has to say.

I used an rbv pitman arm on my 79 ford box. I just took a dremel tool and cut out the master splines.

Ok, I called Parts Mike on Friday. The guy I talked to wasn't sure if their pitman arm would work with my steering box. He said he'd never heard of anyone using the box out of an explorer. He said there arm fits all of the jeeps and Chevys, but he didn't know about a ford. I'm going to take the pitman arm off a buddy's chevy today and see if it fits then I'll know.

Dumb question: what's an rbv arm? And what's a Saginaw steering box?

rbv = ranger based vehicle

saginaw = the type of steering box used in chevys, jeeps, scouts, dodges which is why you can swap arms between them other than the master spline orientation in some cases. toyota makes their own steering boxes as does ford

Updates????

OK. Some updates and pics.

I got the truck back on its own weight this past weekend and semi-steerable (no power steering yet). No brakes yet though.

Major items left on to do list: power steering lines, brake lines, some misc welding to finish up, shocks, sway bar, flip the rear axle and reinstall stock rear leaf springs (maybe).

Problems to figure out: The truck sits a little higher in the front than I had hoped. Haven't decided whether I want to remove the body lift, go with flatter springs, or roll with it like it is for now.

Major issue: As you can see from the pic of the passenger side, I have no clearance between the draglink and the leaf pack. Any upward movement on the drivers side or downward movement on the passenger side and it binds. The way I see it I have a couple options: less drop on the pitman arm (which equals worse angle on draglink), somehow find a taller high-steer arm (already using the taller one from Sky Manuf.), or flatter springs with less springs in the pack. Any ideas? Anyone else run into the same problem?

Can't wait to see it on some bigger meats and done!! You will love it! I love riding in Chad551 Sport Trac it is sweet ride and yours is about to be sweet also.

bronco2guy said:
Can't wait to see it on some bigger meats and done!! You will love it! I love riding in Chad551 Sport Trac it is sweet ride and yours is about to be sweet also.

You and me both!! It might be a couple of months before I can afford tires and wheels. I sold my old ones, but that money went towards paying the credit card bill from all the money I had already spent on parts.

Hey Chad, if you are following this thread, what's the height distance from the center of your hub to the center of your fenderwell, just for reference. It's hard for me to picture how high mines going to be with those small ass tires on there.

Anyone have a link to where I can purchase extended brake lines that will work with my setup. I haven't done any research or searching around yet. I figured if someone already knew where to look it would save me the time. Thanks.

The front will actualy sit about the same height orlower then the rear when you do the SOA from the looks of it in the side shot, might wanna take the front alittle higher.

Chad left his body lift on for easier access for repairs. I'm pretty sure his frontend homemade bracketry is a bit higher then your S-10 setup which might be why you're having the clearence issue with the draglink.

The front will actualy sit about the same height orlower then the rear when you do the SOA from the looks of it in the side shot, might wanna take the front alittle higher.

Chad left his body lift on for easier access for repairs. I'm pretty sure his frontend homemade bracketry is a bit higher then your S-10 setup which might be why you're having the clearence issue with the draglink.

Yeah, but I still have the 4" superlift springs in the rear with the warrior shackles. I would like to go back to the stock springs for more flex and a smoother ride one I do the SOA.

I don't think Chad's is quite as high as mine is in the front, but I could be wrong. I have 3" HD lift springs for a yota in there now. I don't think Chad's springs are arched quite as much as mine.

I'm really torn. I would like to clear 38x15.50s but don't want a damn ticket everytime I drive it down the road. Stupid laws.

If I go with a straight pitman arm to raise the draglink, is it really bad to not have the draglink at a similar angle to the tierod? Or is it just not ideal?

Otherwise, does anyone know someone who sells a taller steering arm?

How much clearance at ride height do you guys think I need between the draglink and leafs in order to be able to fully cycle the suspension without it binding? I've got like 1/8" now and I can jack up the drivers side tire about 4" off the ground before the draglink hits the leafs.

Any suggestions? I'm really stumped on this one. I would like to be able to finish the truck with the leafs that are in it. If the trucks too high I'll deal with it later.

Here's a little visual walkthrough of how I did my steering rod if anyone is interested.

I cut 4"-5" off the slip portion of my stock steering rod and slid the plastic bushing thingee down on the now shorter rod.

Stock rod is now shorter.

I then took the steering rod that I got with my steering box and cut off the end of the rag joint that slides over the splines of the steering box. I knocked out the two rivets on that piece and tapped it for a 3/8" bolt.

Next, I took the little steering rod extender that came with the body lift, cut off the end of it and welded a little bracket to it that I made out of 1/4" steel. Please excuse the bubblegum looking welds. Our mig didn't like the soft metal of the steering rod extender from the body lift.

I then took the grinder to the nipple of my new homemade bracket so that it would fit into the weird egg shaped hole at the end of my stock steering rod.

I then bolted my new bracket to the piece I cut off of the rag joint using some 3/8"D x 3/4" long bolts and lock washers, shoved that in the end of my stock steering rod, tightened down the bolt on the side and had a completed steering rod.

What do you think?

Back