MLB and 2nd car dilemma solved! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MLB and 2nd car dilemma solved!

So far i am impressed by the build quality of this car.
The ball joints and rubber link thingys all look way better than what is on my mounty . All boots look straight, tight and full. I noticed no play.

200k miles this has been aligned one time. At 188k miles and new tires, the alignment rack said everything was still dead on.

Water pump , thermostat, and fuel pump have 201k miles. Unheard of. I'm letting these run out.
Struts and springs seem ok with no leaks. Also letting these ride out as wife has no complaints about the ride.

There is a rattle in the dash during cold weather on rough roads which goes away. I assume it is a mount issue with the dash, which happens to be on a recall and being replaced free of charge. I have a letter. My fear is the new dash would sound and work worse once some toyota tech got his hands in there. Guess we better get it in before the free wears out.

I have new Denso spark plugs and coils. Upper plennum gasket just in case, plus a new Toyota brand PCV valve. This will begin tonight. $$$$ ouch
New powerstop brake pads and rotors next. Solid, no holes or slots.Hopefully the calipers will be ok. I plan to flush all the brake fluid.

Transmission fluid and filter+gasket after that.

Power steering fluid -turkey baster change with a few lock to lock drains and refills also.

Accessory belt change and idler bearing check. Also factory stuff. Normally I can get new bearings for idlers pretty easily, but might have to shell out some bux for these. We'll see how they spin by hand.

When I have it up for brakes I'll check the suspension further but anticipate, and hope all is good. I am concerned about wheel bearings because of age, but to be honest this thing drives real good. My wife is very good about noticing and reporting things which sound or feel abnormal.

Well the Avalon doesn't have oversized off-road tires and goes wheeling all the time lol

Good luck I need to break into my focus myself she's starting to fall apart little by little now at 190k other than a battery, oil changes, tires,and an alternator I've never done any maintenance on this car because my ex hogs all the attention haha.

The list. 202kmiles

New Radiator hoses
New PowerStop Brake pads and rotors.
Flushed Brake lines with vacuum pump
New PCV valve
Trans fluid filter and gasket

Learning my way around this thing.

Back