Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really... A couple ideas have been thrown out, but nothing has been firmed up. I'm trying to stay neutral... Most of this group has been out there before, so I'm willing to go where the group decides.

The one activity that has been firmed up is dinner at the Branding Iron, 7pm, cash only.

Well I guess I'll throw out my game plan for Saturday.... (after seven mile rim if there is time I may head to some other short trails for the afternoon, not sure how long it is going to take because it is 20 miles long)

meet city market if you'd like to go between 8:00 am and 8:30 am (depart)

Saturday's Trail Seven Mile Rim

Msupertekk
Mudduck
91 Exploder
JTX
Dignan
Moabb2
FlyBoyCoe

Sunday's Trail Golden Spike

Msupertekk
Mudduck
91 Exploder

Well I'm done, I'll have to save the other trails for next year...:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which night are we doing Branding Iron?

Saturday night - 7PM

Are there any good night runs? I was watching the THaven videos and thought that would be a lot of fun.

I'm sure you could get a few guys together for a night run.

if you can please let us know the difficulty of each run 1-5 to see if the guys with stock cars can do it is going to be helpful

Best thing to do chrisis is go to www.traildamage.com and click on the trails link, then click on the trail I or someone else has posted. They have pictures of the trails, video clips of them doing parts of the trail and a write up on how difficult it is, as well as information on what to expect.

Well I guess I'll throw out my game plan for Saturday.... (after seven mile rim if there is time I may head to some other short trails for the afternoon, not sure how long it is going to take because it is 20 miles long)

meet city market if you'd like to go between 8:00 am and 8:30 am (depart)

Saturday's Trail Seven Mile Rim

Msupertekk
Mudduck
91 Exploder
JTX

Sunday's Trail Golden Spike

Msupertekk
Mudduck
91 Exploder

Well I'm done, I'll have to save the other trails for next year...:salute:

I think I'd like to do Seven Mile Rim. Golden Spike is too much for me this year. I'll need more lift and traction before taking on that trail. Maybe Sunday would be good for Elephant Hill if anyone is interested.

I would be down with a night run too. I think Top of the World would be cool to look over the edge in the dark like Jefe mentioned.

Well my F@#$ing Air Conditioner at home just shot craps and now I have to buy a new unit. So there goes my rear locker money. :rant:

Douglas,
Your schedule for Sat and Sunday sounds great, but I would like to drive TOW never seen anything like before.

Night run sounds fun as well.

Chad

I'm down for 7 Mile Rim on Saturday.

Agreed, I'm down for TOTW during the day. Maybe Saturday afternoon if 7mile Rim doesn't take all day. Or Sunday morning.

Would any first-timers like myself like to do an easy/moderate trail Friday Morning to get started, while the big guys go do Strike Ravine? Just looking for an interest count.

if you can please let us know the difficulty of each run 1-5 to see if the guys with stock cars can do it is going to be helpful

As mentioned you can (or should? :) ) check traildamage.com as well as Wells' Moab Book, and the aforementioned Nat'l Geographic Moab maps have trail ratings on them... also the trail itinerary that Brian (Brian1) listed a few pages back are all Easy and Moderate rated (by Wells' book; easy=basically a Subaru outback could drive it and Moderate= 4 lo, some clearance / skid plates and decent tires)...

Brian is fun to wheel with and never seems to mind leading. FYI as JStrider mentioned we had his bone stock ex on the TOTW run last year :thumbsup: You'll have a blast.

Agreed, I'm down for TOTW during the day. Maybe Saturday afternoon if 7mile Rim doesn't take all day. Or Sunday morning.

Would any first-timers like myself like to do an easy/moderate trail Friday Morning to get started, while the big guys go do Strike Ravine? Just looking for an interest count.

I'll give a look, I'd like to run something not too early on Fri... and have time to meet up with MSupertekk for Fins. Maybe drive "Picture Frame Arch" for fun? - South of town and rated Easy to see some scenery ?

I'll give a look, I'd like to run something not too early on Fri... and have time to meet up with MSupertekk for Fins. Maybe drive "Picture Frame Arch" for fun? - South of town and rated Easy to see some scenery ?

Picture frame arch is very easy, no need to even shift in to 4x4. It could be a nice warm up trail for you, has a nice arch to view, and a little further down the road has a nice overlook into Kane Creek Canyon.

The entrance to picture frame arch is just across the road from AREA BFE and Strike Ravine, so you could still roll with the area BFE guys South on 191 to the entrance.

You can count me in for the strike ravine run on friday, and maybe a 4 or 4+ after that,I will be in town all week, if there is someone who will have there atv's also and would like a riding partner just e-mail me. Thanks

I went and organized the sign-up list that Rick posted into trail difficulty groups. I also tried to verify that everyones Rig is properly equipped to run in that group. ;) It appears that we have a perfectly sized groups. :cool: Obviously there will be some swapping around depending on the trails we pick, but these are excellent sized groups so lets at least try to plan around them. :)

Stock/Superstock
Brian1 - 1-3
Chad551 - 2
FlyBoyCoe - 3
Joey Jarhead - 2
MoabB2 - 2
mountaineergreen - 3
tilt168 - 3

Modified+
410Fortune - 3.5
67truckguy - 3.5
928sport - 3.5
Becker69 - 3+
Dignan - 3+
Gjarrett - 3-4
goliath - 4
mrboyle - 3.5
Positive Vibes - 3.5

Big Dawg/Extreme
Brother of Jefe - 4
DB_1 - 4
FAKRWEE - 4
Jefe - 4
McIncak - 4
Msupertek - 4
offroader_69_me - 4
Rick

Ridge903 - Ride Along
Spas - Ride Along

hmmm guess I'm not on ricks list, I filled out the form a while back... ohwell

gotta do my fan clutch before I head out to moab... just gotta find a few hours to get it done.

I'm still in for sure. What's not sure is if the rig will be ready in time. If it isn't I'm taking the Zuki XL-7 4X4. The problem is it doesn't have much clearence. I'll just ride with the stockers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The one activity that has been firmed up is dinner at the Branding Iron, 7pm, cash only.

:bounce: Yippie! Lesbian Karaoke! :D

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile but way back I had mentioned that since I'll have my stepson and wife with me we are planning on doing the Klondike Bluffs and Tower Arches trails in Arches Nat'l Park. Both are really cool great stocker trails - Klondike Bluffs is the trail where you actually wheel right beside dinosaur footprints; where else in the world can you do that? - and if we just did that one trail it would take less than three hours. Picture Frame Arch would be a very easy warm up. You're driving a long way to get some of the best fourwheeling in the world and that trail is little more than a dirt road - you can drive on dirt roads at home. Yes it has scenery but the scenery doesn't matter because just about every trail in Moab has great scenery. If you're thinking of doing that you might consider doing Gemini Bridges instead. In the end it doesn't matter if this is your first time - it's Moab and that makes any of them great :)

As for having time to do both 7 Mile Rim and TOTW in one day; it ain't possible.

So many newbies are posting questions about trails that I think I'll go find the Moab trail report I wrote awhile back and insert it on this thread; it's a good supplement to the Charles Wells book to give you an idea of what to expect from and Explorer pilot's point of view while at Moab. It may take a few minutes but I'll post again here shortly.

EDIT: Here's the link to the 2004 Moab event; the last post is the trail reports that I was mentioning. http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102174

GJarrett, do you remember how long it took you to do Seven Mile Rim? I'm just wondering if I have time to do Seven Mile Rim and Moab Rim on Saturday before Dinner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to remember but that's been a long time ago.... shoot, so long ago Rick forgot he had been on it. As I recall it took at least the five hours that the Wells book says it will. However we had a hard time staying on the trail and got lost a time or two wandering around.

You would have a chance of doing both Seven Mile Rim and Moab Rim if you just did that first mile of Moab Rim going to the top..... that's the part that is legendary anyway; the rest of the trail is nothing to remember. The problem would be if anyone broke on Moab Rim and trapped you on the trail - it's a goat trail on the edge of a cliff and if someone breaks down in certain areas no one is going to be moving until the breakdown gets moved somewhere because there will be no way to go around it.

I think you could do it, but like I said it depends a little on luck and prayers that you don't run into any breakdowns on the narrow parts of Moab Rim.

I still want to try Flat Iron Mesa. Would anyone be interested in doing that either Saturday or Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back