Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a WONDERFUL call from my Ford dealer. I took in my ST because I had an issue with my A/C, and I know it will be hot in Moab. So I downloaded my stock tune back into the ST before taking it in. When I put the stock tune in I felt a slip in my tranny. He just called me and told me my tranny is shot!! They have to call Ford on Monday and see how they want to fix it.

The 2 options are
1. Rebuilding the existing tranny which will take a few days to get parts.
2. Replace with a remanufactured tranny.

Luckily I have the extended warranty and will only cost me $50.00 but I am more concerned that I wont be able to leave on Wed as originally planned. He told me it would be a slim chance to have it done by Wed. :rant:

The strange part, is when I have my custum XCAL2 tune installed the tranny does not slip, it only does it when I have the stock tune in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chad-
the whole CO contingent is leaving from the 4WP on I-70 and Peroria around 3-4 go to the CO thread for more info.

man it sucks being so far south people forget that Colorado extends south beyond Denver, I will traveling west on 160 through Durango leaving early thursday if anyone else is going that direction

Holy Crap dude... that sucks!!! How the hell did you fry your tranny already??:confused: Can you see if it'll work to make the trip (thrash it a little more as long as it won't leave you stranded :D ) WT#?? What made it look like you needed significant work done? Are there diagnostics being fooled by whatever voodoo transmission settings (w/ a chip I assume?) you have? These are questions I would ponder. I would've guessed brake work with the wheels and tires you have but not tranny issues with 4.10 gears?!!:mad:

Beer? where? what? where am I? whats going on? who am i??

no
i am not a irish frat boy soldier....with a drinking habit.....

Do the Irish have frats? OR Soldiers..? :D Just kidding man... I can't wait to meet you and all the others I haven't met yet and throw back a few pints or Dr. Peppers... :D

man it sucks being so far south people forget that Colorado extends south beyond Denver, I will traveling west on 160 through Durango leaving early thursday if anyone else is going that direction

Man I hear ya, I lived in Alamogordo for 4 years! We'll have to meet up at the Brewery Thurs night if you're up for it.

Man I hear ya, I lived in Alamogordo for 4 years! We'll have to meet up at the Brewery Thurs night if you're up for it.
oh I'll be there for sure don't you worry!!!!

Not if I can help it. I'm hoping you'll be stuck again just like in your avatar with no one around to pull you out. :D

ouch that hurt this year we be goin all the way thru that ***** on all 4's under my own power that is!!!

well I'm off for the weekend yall have a good one!!!!!!

Not if I can help it. I'm hoping you'll be stuck again just like in your avatar with no one around to pull you out. :D

I won't be there to spot him into the bad position again.

I wish I could make it this year.

Got the truck smogged/registered and just need to pack up:thumbsup:
I'm trying to get pumped up for the 12 hr drive out there...36" IROK's, steering that wanders a bit and no A/C...should be interesting:rolleyes: :p:

Will anyone happen to have an SWR meter with them at Moab? I bought a new CB and antenna that needs tuning.

Well, it looks like Gerald gets to claim the first carnage for the Moab trip this year. This morning he called, he was broke down in Tuscaloosa Alabama. He waited 2 hours for the Ford dealer to look at it. Then when they finally got to him, they were afraid to put his bent up truck:D on the lift. It was determined that his driver side CV went:thumbdwn:, so he went and bought one and found a shady spot and put it in himself. That sucks, plus he lost 5 or 6 hours drive time. That would put him here in Dallas about midnight, but I don't think he could make it without stopping to take a nap.
I know every one will have a great time this year. I wish that included me.:(

David, thanks for the update on Gerald. Too bad about the CV.

I thought that was a standard spare part for Gerald;)

3 days

Well, it looks like Gerald gets to claim the first carnage for the Moab trip this year. This morning he called, he was broke down in Tuscaloosa Alabama. He waited 2 hours for the Ford dealer to look at it. Then when they finally got to him, they were afraid to put his bent up truck:D on the lift. It was determined that his driver side CV went:thumbdwn:, so he went and bought one and found a shady spot and put it in himself. That sucks, plus he lost 5 or 6 hours drive time. That would put him here in Dallas about midnight, but I don't think he could make it without stopping to take a nap.
I know every one will have a great time this year. I wish that included me.:(

That sucks. At least he knew how to do it.. 5-6 hours shoot, that would set me back a day and probably a few $100. Thanks for the up date...
Granted it was time and $$ but can this be this first carnage?? Surely not :D

Looks like i wont be making the trip. My explorer could be ready but i dont wanna rush it, i also havent worked in a month due to foot surgery so money was gonna be tight. Gas prices sure didnt help. Anyways i hope everyone has a safe fun trip.

JTX

Gerald killed a CV on the street? :eek: And he didn't have a spare? :confused:

I've got the rebuilt trans in and its working great, and I just about finished up with the roll cage install. However my rear pinion seal just started leaking this morning and it feels like the pinion bearing(s) are shot. :mad: So I've got a bit more work before I'm ready to go. Hopefully the gears are still OK :(

...I've got the rebuilt trans in and its working great, and I just about finished up with the roll cage install. However my rear pinion seal just started leaking this morning and it feels like the pinion bearing(s) are shot. :mad: So I've got a bit more work before I'm ready to go. Hopefully the gears are still OK :(

What happened to selling it anyways?! I'm glad you haven't yet but thought you had everthing that you were going to be Ex-less? But now a cage, etc... I'll look forward to seeing your rig again.

Sorry to hear that JTX, was looking forward to wheeling with you. Well we'll have to catch up again on another run, I'll be sure to send you a vid of the trip;)

Let the 4 day scramble to get the truck ready begin!!!

AS usual this is gonna be a close one for leaving thurs afternoon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey this is Gerald.... I made it to Texas :) Joey I'm sorry you won't make it :(

I grenaded my driver's side CV/axleshaft in a driving rainstorm (the kind where most people pull over or take shelter under an overpass). It started making noises and probably got water in it if the old rubber boots lost a seal. It lasted about a hundred more miles and then went *kablooey!* Crap I already broke something and I haven't even gotten to a trail yet :rolleyes:

I limped into Tuscaloosa Saturday morning and waited two hours for a crowded and very busy Firestone service center to get to me. The tech pulled Herc into a service bay and looked under it, then around it, then called the manager, then they both looked under it, then they called me over. It seems Ive bashed my undercarriage up so bad that they couldn't find a place to put the front lift pads that they felt would be safe and be sure it wouldn't slide off. So after all that waiting they said they couldn't do it.

I did have the spare CV/axleshaft but if I used it then I wouldn't have a spare for the trail ~ so I bought another one from Advance Auto and put it in myself. By the time I had waited at Firestone, then went to buy a CV, then found a place to do my own shade-tree mechanic work, I lost about five hours. Oh well things could have been worse and I did start very early for the trip, so all is well. I just think it's ironic that I blew a CV on a highway instead of a trail :D

I'm leaving mom's in another day or so and still plan to run Lockhart Basin into Moab. I'll be on CB channel 1 and plan to arrive in plenty of time to hit the Moab Brewery Thursday nite :chug:

Gerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back