leebo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mingo Junction, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
Moab Colors Run

After several years of waiting, Peter's White Rim curse was broken. The trail itself more than made up for the long wait. I meant up with Peter Weber on Thursday to drive up to Moab, Utah. After a quick drive we checked into the campsite and went to find Gerald Jarrett. Then off to supper we went. After a meal at the Moab Diner it was off to bed knowing that the next day we were in for a long drive.

We spent the normal time airing down and tightening down all our equipment on Friday before hitting the Shafer Switchbacks. The switchbacks are an intimidating site, however wide compared to a few we ended up on towards the end of the trail. This was also where we found why this trail will take awhile. With all three of us taking pictures at various times we ended up stopping about once every mile. A trend that continued through much of the first part of the trail. The views however warranted the pace. After a few hours of driving we headed down towards Lathrop Canyon for lunch. This drive ended up adding another hour to our trip, but rewarded us with a spot along the river for lunch. Once we started to get closer to the river we also figured out that this could turn into the first Serious Explorations run to happen at the same time as the tree's were changing colors, thus the name "Moab Color's Run" was born.
Dead Link Removed

After returning to the main trail from Lathrop Canyon it was another few hours of stop and go pace before we hit our next playground. Off of the main trail there was a dried up waterfall that was calling our name to drive up it. Gerald went ahead and gave it a shot first and did it with very little problem. I wish I could say I had the same luck with this obstacle. Gerald had taken off his front and rear swaybars before the trail, where myself had decided that I'd leave the rear ones on. A move that added to the fun of the trail.
Dead Link Removed
It took a few minutes of me holding it there for pictures and showing off for the bikers that were passing before we drove it out of the pose. Turns out I never did do the waterfall. We then took turns leading for the next few miles to avoid eating the dust that we were starting to kick up from the trail. The pace of stopping every few miles for pictures though continued till we hit Murphy's hill at about the 40 mile mark.

The entire day we were trying to pace ourselves enough to get to our campsite before sunset, but it was obvious that this wasn't going to happen. We hit Murphy's hill with the sun starting to set in the background. Murphy's hill is one of the harder parts of the trail with it being a steep rocky climb up the mountain with not much on the side of you. Made for a great view though. After getting all three Explorers to the top we were rewarded to an amazing sunset with the mountains of Moab as the background. This was also where we figured out that we'll have to drive the last ten miles to camp with the stars of of the sky providing us with our light.
Dead Link Removed
Gerald started out leading us down the switchbacks then I took the lead. Just ask anybody who's been to Moab, this is not the best place for a night run without knowing the trail first. I'm sure we drove along a few dropoffs that I'm not sure that I'd want to know what's on the other side of. Let's just say that this part was done at a slow speed. As we drove for awhile we noticed that we were going to be greeted with a full moon once we hit camp. This also helped us in setting up camp.

After sitting around the "charcoal" campfire, and me eating my steak and rice in front of the other's it was time to hit the sack. Camping miles away from others was a new experience for myself. The first thing I noticed was how quite it was. The only sounds I could hear was those of the birds overhead and the squeaks from "Herk" where Gerald was sound asleep in. The next morning we woke up at about the same time with sunrise serving as our wake up call. Took us awhile to take down camp and hit the trail again, but once we did we quickly noticed that the night before we missed the fact that we were staying along the Green River. Time for a few more pictures.

The second day reward us with softer roads leading us through a various amount of trees. We the hit Hardscrabble Hill. This gave us another chance to test our switchback skills as well as through several canyons.
Dead Link Removed
These switchbacks at times did warrant driving close to the walls at times. Was very happy to only meet one person coming up. After deciding against the two hour hike to Fort Bottom we turned off the main trail again to go see the back of Zeus and Moses. This also turned out to be a great place to eat lunch before heading to the last set of switchbacks. Towards the end we spotted a few cars that ended up meeting their end on the trail. We spent awhile debating how they got there, but it was obvious that they weren't there by mistake. We then continued for a few more miles till we hit the main road leading us back to Moab.

After waiting a few minutes for cattle to cross the main road we hit Moab and sat back to think about the trail we just ran. I'd guess we were all ready to do it again. I'd like to thank Peter Weber and Gerald Jarrett for hitting the trail with me and I can't wait to see your pictures. During the next Moab trip this is one that if you got a few days to kill, I would HIGHLY recommend that you try. The entire trip took a good day in a half. This was allowing you to take your time to allow you catch in the amazing views that the White Rim offers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My pictures are up. I may add a few more, but all the ones from the White Rim trail that were worth it are there.

Dead Link Removed

Looks like you guys had a great time. I talked to Gerald and he wanted me to tell you and Peter thanks for a great trip.

So did Gerald get to play some in Moab???

Hate to see him drive that far just for a dirt road.
:p

Gerald did Moab Rim. He said it was THE scariest run he has ever done. He said it wasn't just a few spots, but the whole run that was a major adrenaline pumper.

Did he meet up with somebody at the city market or just do the trail on his own? He was talking about doing both. LOL Guess my post about body damage may come true afterall.

ps.. don't delete this one. ;)

He met someone who was a friend of Charles Wells. No additonal body damage from that run.

He did say he wanted to check some stuff out in my garage when he gets to Phoenix though. I think it was his brushguard or something.

Nice pictures Lee, and it is Good to see the Herc tour is Still going good since he got off to a rocky start...

Lee,
It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I always thought your X was black for some reason :eek: Guess it isn't.

Most of my pictures I've posted were with a crappy camera. They almost all look black. I really can't wait for Peters pics. There should be several amazing ones from him.

Originally posted by leebo
Most of my pictures I've posted were with a crappy camera. They almost all look black. I really can't wait for Peters pics. There should be several amazing ones from him.

I hope you weren't having problems with the Canon. What camera did you use? From what I saw the photos look good.

I meant most of the pics. I've posted in the past were with a crappy camera. The canon worked great. Sorry about that misunderstanding. :)

Ahhh... never mind that's very different :D

I made it back from WRT (White Rim Trail) without incident. One minor bump when we pulled into camp Friday night. I was going to drive up a rocky slope to see if I can find a nice spot to pitch my tent. The slope started with a ledge which I missed and I smacked my grille guard up against it. Otherwise none of us had any damage. Mine is only minor.

Lee, great job on the trip report. Nothing to add.

Anyway, I've started scanning some of my pics. They should be up in a day or two.

Here are a couple teasers.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8cecba89/bc/White+Rim+Trail/Ready+to+Go.jpg?bc3NGO8AVdC9U99W

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8cecba89/bc/White+Rim+Trail/Gerald+at+Play.jpg?bc3NGO8AoO0kprFi

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8cecba89/bc/White+Rim+Trail/Lee.jpg?bc3NGO8A7Jk07_eu

Hey Peter,
It says "Forbidden
You must supply a local referer to get URL '/users/8cecba89/bc/White+Rim+Trail/Lee.jpg?bc3NGO8A7Jk07_eu' from this server. "
Whatsup?

Peter you got it right, they are teasers.

I can't see the pictures, it says forbidden like Ray says.

Hurry and get it fixed, I want to see them.

Sorry 'bout that.

I posted the pics to Yahoo and can access them. Does anybody know if Yahoo blocks access to the supplied URL by somebody else from another site like PhotoPoint does these days?

In the meantime, I'll put them somewhere else for everybody to see. Let you know as soon as I'm done.

Remove the http:// then hit enter after clicking on the Picture. nice picture of Gerald though....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I finally got tired of storing pictures somewhere and a little while later they come along and cut off the capablity to link to them by using a URL.

I created a Yahoo club called 'Peter's Explorations' (just click on that under my sig). Once you become a member you can post messages and check out any albums and even add your own albums.

I've posted only a few pics so far, but will add more of the WRT trip and other's. Let's see how many members I can get in a week.

Back