Moab June 3-5 2005 Signup and Itinerary Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab June 3-5 2005 Signup and Itinerary Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
moab_rickair.jpg

Rick and Char having a pucker moment on Potato Salad Hill, Moab 2000

101mrboylesteelbender4.jpg

mrboyle on Steelbender, Moab 2003

101diffwhackonlaunchpad.jpg

Diff Whack Daddy on the Launch Pad, Moab 2003

101WedgieJefeAir.jpg

Jefe gets a little IFS air in the Wedgie, Moab 2002

101WhiteKnuckleJeep.jpg

Brother of Jefe wishes for a little more wheelbase at White Knuckle Hill, Moab 2004

101Upchuck.jpg

GJarrett & AshliX spending their honeymoon Behind the Rocks, Moab 2004

P5012348.jpg

offroad_69_me on Poison Spider Mesa, Moab 2002

101hvacmanMoabRim.jpg

hvac man on Moab Rim, Moab EJS 2005

16785Airtime.jpg

JTX tries to roll over Behind the Rocks, Moab 2004

This year we'll be going to Moab the weekend after Memorial Day, June 3-5, 2005. Since most of us have already been to Moab, I'll keep this year's signup simple. If you have not attended before, you can ask any questions you want to in the Moab chitchat thread at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126513 and get all the help you need to find out about hotels/etc.

If you are planning on attending, please reply to this thread with the following info:
- number in your party
- your estimated arrival and departure time/dates
- where do you plan on staying?
- trailrun wishlist
- will you attend a group dinner on Saturday at the Branding Iron; and if so, how many will be attending?
- there is the possibility of an additional trailrun immediately after the main event; probably a full extra day through Lockhart Basin or either a two-day excursion to the Hole in the Rock trail or the Canyonlands Maze. Hole in the Rock is a 4-rated trail and would be a two-day run beginning Monday with camping that night on the remote trail - the trailhead is 150 miles from Moab, it is a 60 mile trail, and 2drs should probably pack extra fuel. Would you be interested and available to do this run if it happens?

Once you reply to this thread I'll edit you into the list in the next post in order to keep the info at the top and easy to find. Finally, PM me with your real name and phone number and let me know if you are willing to let the others on the run have it. Before the run I plan to PM a list of phone numbers to the participants willing to share each other's numbers so we can call each other if we want to. The phone number list will be kept private and off of this public board.

This year's thread is being kept simple since most of us are veterans. If you think it needs additional info, let me know :)

Let's get this started! :bounce:

MOAB INFO
Preparation:
The following items are required to participate on this trip and are taken from the "Trail Equipment" article's "Required" list. It is suggested that you read the entire article if you have not already done so. Many other items are suggested and necessary besides the ones on this list. If this is your first time to run Moab, get ready for the fourwheeling trip of your life! Do not shortchange yourself and encumber others by coming unprepared. In addition to this list, if you have a stocker, make very sure you have skidplates installed before even thinking of showing up for Moab (hint ;) ).

Required:
> Water, 1 gallon per person per day minimum.
> Card kept on your person with emergency contact info and medication allergies
> Personal supplies for at least twice the time you plan on being out:
If you are going on a morning trip, pack a lunch and trail snacks, beef jerky, fruits, dry/canned food, etc. If you are going on an afternoon or all day trip, assume you may spend the night in the vehicle and pack accordingly: medications, flashlight, batteries, matches/lighter, and blankets & gear appropriate to the environment, area, and season.
> CB: do not even think of showing up without one!
> Fire Extinguisher
> First Aid Kit
> Spare Eyeglasses (if needed)
> Spare Key! kept on your person
> Towstrap, at least 20', bare with no metal hooks/brackets attached
> Full Size Spare Tire, lug wrench
> Standard Bottle Jack with 12" square wooden platform for use in soft ground
> Basic Tool Kit
> Fix-A-Flat and/or Tire Plug kit and air compressor (12 volt plug-in or other)
> Trash bag, for your own as well as other's trash
> Towpoints front and rear, frame mounted

Radio frequencies:
Once in town, these will be our frequencies. If you can tolerate it, we suggest you do not squelch your CB in order to maximize reception.
CB: channel 1
2M Ham: 146.520 Simplex

Lodging and Moab Information: Support this site by linking through the main page "Explorer Bookstore" to 4x4 books and/or Amazon.com and purchase Charles Wells "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". It is an absolutely invaluable resource for the trip and a "must-buy".
http://www.moab-utah.com/
http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

TRAIL RATINGS (Moab trails are rated thusly; example trails within category are listed with each rating)
1 All weather road; 4WD not needed. (Sand Flats Road)
1.5 Graded road; 4WD may be needed in poor weather. (Onion Creek)
2 Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required. (Chicken Corners)
2.5 Road rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, low gears (4LO) often needed, with some extra care and a bit of driving experience useful. (Gemini Bridges, Secret Spire)
3 Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance and low gears essential, with some driving skill and daring required. (Top of the World)
3.5 Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill and daring needed. (Steelbender, Elephant Hill, Fins & Things)
4 Trail either never bladed or badly eroded. Stock vehicles are in jeopardy (read: be prepared to accept body damage). Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed. (Metal Masher, Poison Spider Mesa, Hells Revenge)
4+ Trails reserved for those not much concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety. It is common to have 10% or more of the vehicles experience major mechanical failures on these trails. (Golden Spike, Cliffhanger, Moab Rim)
5 Relatively new category reserved for only the most extreme of trails. Don?t even think of running one without a winch, 35? tires, lots of lift, both axles locked, and willing to take major body damage. (Pritchett Canyon)

EXPLORER VEHICLE CATEGORIES
Stock: self explanatory, 4wd with low range - up to 3 rated trails
SuperStock: 1.5" lift; 31" tires, skidplates, LSD (limited slip differential) in rear - up to 3+ rated trails
Modified: 2.5" lift, 32" tires, LSD front and rear OR one locker - up to 4 rated trails
Big Dawg: 4" lift, 33" tires, LSD in one axle AND one locker in the other - 4+ rated trails
Extreme: 5.5+ lift, 35" tires, both axles locked, winch, willing to take major body damage - bring it awn, any trail

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moab 2005 Participant Info

Attending (# in party)
mrboyle (1-3)
offroader_69_me (2)
rino351 (3-4)
Rick (2)
Diff Whack Daddy (1)
hvac man
JTX (4)
goliath (2)
tdavis (1)
Positive Vibes (2)
Brian1 (3)

Arrival:
Thursday night
mrboyle
offroader_69_me
rino351
Rick
Diff Whack Daddy
hvac man
JTX
goliath
tdavis
Positive Vibes

Friday morning
Brian1

Departure

Sunday
Rick(hoping for Monday...)
hvac man
Positive Vibes

Monday Morning
mrboyle
offroader_69_me
-=Daemon=-
rino351
Diff Whack Daddy
JTX
Brian1 (3)

Wednesday Morning
goliath

After Wednesday
tdavis

Lodging
Canyonlands Campground
mrboyle
Rick
Diff Whack Daddy
JTX
goliath
tdavis

Silver Sage
offroader_69_me

Holiday Inn Express
Brian1

Trail "Wishlist"
Metal Masher
goliath

Poison Spider Mesa
mrboyle

Golden Spike
offroader_69_me
Rick
hvac man
JTX
goliath

Rusty Nail
hvac man

Pritchett Canyon
hvac man
Rick
Tdavis

Branding Iron Reservation (# in party)
mrboyle (1-3)
offroader_69_me (2)
rino351 (3-4)
Rick (1)
Diff Whack Daddy (2)
JTX (3)
goliath (2)
tdavis(1)
Positive Vibes (2)
Brian1 (3)

Extra One-Day Run to Lockhart Basin or Two-Day Exploration at the Maze or Hole in the Rock
mrboyle
goliath

Attending (# in party)
mrboyle (possibly 1-3 joining on Saurday)

Arrival:
Thursday night

Departure
Monday Morning

Lodging
Canyonlands Campground

Trail "Wishlist"
Posion spider mesa?

Branding Iron Reservation (# in party)
mrboyle

Extra One-Day Run to Lockhart Basin or Two-Day Exploration at the Maze or Hole in the Rock
I'd be up for the extra run to Lockhart or the Maze not sure if I could handle Hole in the Rock (driving distance and narcolepsey aren't the best of friends)

attending# probably 2
arrival: thursday night
depart: monday morn
lodging: TBA
trail list: golden spike, have to do it without breaking anything this year!!
branding iron: 2
no can make it soo many days off!

Attending #: Probably 2

Arrival:
thursday evening

Depart: monday morning

Lodging: TBD

Trail Wishlist: any

Branding Iron reservation: 2

# attending: 3-4

arrival: thursday afternoon

departure: Monday morning

lodging: Canyonlands Campground

Trails: anything...I am not concerned with body damage

Branding Iron reservation: 3-4

-Ryan

Attending #: Just me

Arrival: thursday evening

Lodging: Canyonlands Campground

Trail Wishlist: any

Branding Iron reservation: Just me

Attending #: 1

Arrival: thursday noon

Lodging: Canyonlands

Trail Wishlist:
Prichett Canyon
Golden Spike
Moab Rim
bring it awn :D

Branding Iron reservation: 1

Jefe just posted that he'd like to run Moab Rim, so I added myself to that wishlist.... once others post where they'd like to go, if you'd like to join that run, post in this thread again and I'll add you to that run's wishlist. That will help us get a semi-accurate idea of interest in each trail.
Thanks!

Jefe said:

Trail Wishlist:
Prichett Canyon
Golden Spike
Moab Rim

"ditto"
(well, almost, I'll actually have 2 or 3 sons with me)

Me and a few friends who kows how many, same as years past. :D

Probably be there thursday night

Leaving sunday night

sleeping is still undecided

I would like to see a trip down Rusty Nail, Pritchet Canyon, The Spike.

More than likely I will not be attending the group dinner but I can't say for sure.

Thanks, See you there!!

Clint, that's a good idea. Rusty Nail would be a great trail for the true BigDawgs to run and then end up out on Golden Spike; if we got real lucky timing-wise, the Rusty Nail group might end up meeting the Golden Spike group at the Golden Crack.

Attending #: 3

Trail Wishlist:
Golden Spike

Branding Iron reservation: 3

Im ready! By then i'll have my cage done and wont be scared of nothin!

Attending: 1

Arrival: thursday night

Trail wishlist: whatever my stocker can handle

This will be my first time out there, so I don't really know what I want to do or what to expect other than having a good time in my explorer, before I get rid of her at the end of the summer. Don't worry i'm planning on getting another explorer, i'm really liking the sport trac's right now, so I'm planning on getting one by the end of summer.

signing up

attending: 2

Arrival: thursday night

Depart: wednesday morning

Trail wishlist: metal masher, golden spike

Branding Iron reservation: 2

Extra run to lockhardt basin on monday, if no one shows i will run elephant hill monday.

GET ER DONE :D

Jefe said:

Trail Wishlist:
Prichett Canyon
Golden Spike
Moab Rim

Go ahead and change our lodging to "Silver Sage" - I have a feeling that air conditioning is gonna be high on our priority list.

Attending: 1
Arrival: sometime thursday
depart: about 8 days later.

Lodging: need to get reservations, but probably be canyonlands (camper has A/C)

Trail wishlist:
No nosedives, no endos.

Attending: 2

Arrival: Some time Thursday

Depart: Sun or Mon

Lodging: Ramada if think

Branding Iron: 2

I will be there
3 people in my party
Arrive Fri afternoon and depart Monday morning
Staying at the Holiday Inn Express
No trail wishlist, probably wont even have my Explorer
3 for the Branding Iron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I neeed to add one to my Branding Iron reservation for a total of 2. I have a last minute person joining me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back