• Register Today It's free!

Moab Trail Suggestions?

KPSquared

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but, the wife and I are going to be in Moab June 2-5. The Ex is in no shape to make this trip so I am renting a jeep:(. Anyway, it's got 33's and lockers front and rear. I am a fairly experienced wheeler and am wondering what trails are a must as far as challenge and sight seeing. I am from Canada so this is COMPLETELY different terrain compared to what I am used to. Keep in mind this is a rental that I don't want any body damage or to end up on my lid... with that being said, I still want to experience the traction that I've read about since I was a kid. My wife is a little frail hearted when it comes to steep angles and this is more about new vistas and good photo ops for her but I can talk her into most things.

Basically, I am wondering how "touristed" the trail ratings are. Any help would be appreciated. I can't believe I am going to be there just a few days after the forum run... I plan to make the Ouray run with you guys in the future...with my own rig. Just gotta find some 35" mall terrains and a trailer to pull my tires on behind me...

Thanks!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KP2 -

Go online and buy Charles Wells' "Guide to Moab, Utah Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" 2nd Edition. Order it so you can get it before you depart; it is the "Bible" of 4WD trails in Moab, and the trail descriptions, GPS coordinates, pictures, and write-ups are well worth the cost.

Your rental can probably tackle quite a few of the difficult trails listed in the book, but since body damage is an issue, I would keep to those trails that include bypasses for the tougher obstacles... Some of the best trails in Moab for scenery aren't always the most difficult, so consider some of the medium or easy trails as well.

All that said, based on your considerations (rental/ body damage) here's what I'd recommend for a Moab first experience:

Easy / Medium: Gemini Bridges, Chicken Corners

Difficult: Fins & Things, Poison Spider Mesa (V-notch is easy with the right line, but has a bypass, Waterfall easy with the right line, no bypass), Hell's Revenge (would opt out of Hell's Gate and Escalator - - optional obstacles), Top of the World, and Rose Garden Hill...

Bottom Line - You know best your driving skills, and I would recommend finding another vehicle to go with, either at the City Market each morning or at the trail head.

Enjoy - - Moab is a special place.

Paul
'91 Sport

P.S. No affilitiation with the Wells' book - - just a satisified consumer...

In my opinion, try Fins & Things first then Hells Revenge. Finns should not be too dificult, but still fun and scenic. Depending on how that fits your liking, Hells revenge is a great trail, little steeper, but still manageable. Stay clear of the Hells Gate and escalator side obstacles (both are optional) unless your up for more challenge/fun :D Both are near town and always have plenty of others on the trail, so you won't be alone if you do have problems. Or you could just try Pritchett Canyon, it is a rental :D J/k don't do that.

Thanks for the advice guys! So, City Market? What is this? Is it like a staging area or just a place in town people head out from? Just curious. I had planned to hopefully find people to go with once we got there. I don't like wheeling alone and the guy that was coming with us pulled the pin! Thanks again!

So, City Market? What is this? Is it like a staging area or just a place in town people head out from? Just curious.

City Market is one of the two grocery stores in Moab, located right in the center of town, and it's parking lot is generally regarded as the morning meeting place / departure point for most groups who are there to run trails. Makes sense as most people top off on ice, buy foodstuffs, drinks, etc.

Should be pretty easy to latch onto a group (especially since your driving a Jeep), just troll around and ask to join up when you see groups with similarly built rigs. Easier to join up in the parking lot than waiting at a trailhead...

Get the book...

Paul
'91 Sport

Try "top of the world" it is an easy trail but a very cool ending and view. Fins and Things is a blast, it is like a roller coaster ride in your truck.

Try "top of the world" it is an easy trail but a very cool ending and view. Fins and Things is a blast, it is like a roller coaster ride in your truck.

Hey Chad -

Get to work on your truck!!! :D Looks great, but get it done!

Paul
'91 Sport

I am sitting here watching the clock slowly tick away until I can LEAVE!! I cannot even focus on work anymore, I just want to get home and fire up the plasma cutter already:D

Back