• Register Today It's free!

Moab trip

extra-medium

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have been pretty quiet on this forum, but I figured I would ask a couple questions real quick. I have some time off work but don't have any plans so I was figuring a day trip down to Moab. It's a 3 hour drive from where I live and I wanted to go see Arches National Park since the state of Utah is funding the parks to be open right now. I was also figuring on trying to his a trail or two on my way back up north. Has anyone here ever been down to Moab and would they suggest anything? I was looking at either Top of the World, Gemini Bridges, or Chicken Corners. My rig is a stock 2002 AWD V-6 Mountaineer with 245/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's. I figured I should be able to handle some stuff but nothing too hard. Any suggestions?

I would not recommend Top of the World especially since you do not have low range. Gemini (loop back using Long Canyon) or Chicken Corners are good choices. Be sure to check out Catacomb rock if you do Chicken Corners. Chicken Corners will take you a couple hours longer to do than Gemini and Long Canyon. I would also suggest taking Potash road all the way into Canyonlands and driving out to Musselman Arch and then back out the Shafer Switchbacks.

Thanks for the response. After watching a couple videos from Top of the World, I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to make it up the staircase. I am thinking of doing Chicken corners when I get there, go check out Arches Park, and then hitting Gemini on the way out. I will have to look into Shafer trail, those switchbacks looks amazing and would make some great pics.

Back