Mobil 1, do yo use Extended Performance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mobil 1, do yo use Extended Performance?

David in NC

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Is it worth the difference? Actually it's only about $2 more for the 5 qt. jug, but does it offer anything?
Do you extend your change periods? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's marketing BS. Use a quality oil and change every 5k.

I'd be scared to go 15k!

I'm driving 12-15k a year and might extend changes to twice a year if I had confidence in the oil. In the mean time, I'll use regular Mobil 1 and change 3 times a year, 4-5k per change.

Mobil 1 0W-20...change it every 5k with a quality filter.
140k miles now and it hasn't missed a lick.

Regular Mobil1 can go about 7500 miles....I use Mobil1 and I change my oil every 6 mo....

Ryan

Without a used oil analysis there really is no way to know how far you can really go.

Our '92 was getting 8k-10k oil changes using mobile 1 10w-30. I rebuilt the motor at 285k miles due to cracked heads.

The cylinder walls still had cross hatch and the inside of the motor was still clean.

~Mark

Regular Mobil 1 even since it has gone down in quality can go 10,000 miles per oil analysis I've done if you use a quality oil filter like Mobil 1, K&N or Amsoil. A quality regular oil can go 7,500 miles although I don't take it that far. That is what it says in many cars owners manuals anyway. Cars burn and gas burns much cleaner than it used to. I've never used Mobil 1 extended performance but it wouldn't surprise me if it could go 15,000. You would want to do an analysis to make sure though.

You can do some searching on here for more information as the topic of synthetic oil has been covered a lot. And also a great site for oil information is www.bobistheoilguy.com. The short of it is that Mobil 1 used to be a Group IV oil but now it is considered a Group III oil.

Back