Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil

akchuck

Reaction score
Does anyone have any comment on Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil vs. Amsoil synthetic motor oil. Any personal experience with one or both? Mobil 1 has a new "Tri-Synthetic" formula out now and was wondering if anyone knows how they stack up against each other. Amsoil is supposed to be the king of synthetics or so I've read. I can get both for approximately the same price and will definitely run one of them this winter. Opinions and/or facts are welcome. Come join the great synthetic motor oil debate!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with Tri-Synthetic formula I guess its ok. I can not personly tell if its better than brand A or B. Althrough I think or could have sworn that i felt a difference with Royal Purple Multi-Vis Motor.

The First in Synthetics

AMSOIL is the best hands down. Better wear protection, longer service life. Do you know of any motor oil manufacturer who puts the results of standardized ASTM tests on the back of their bottles? And these tests have to be repeatable withing 5% to be valid. They back all of this up with a written limited warranty. Do you get a warranty with Mobil 1?

I have used AMSOIL products for over 2 years with phenomenal success. Fuel mileage increased approximately 17%. I only have to change the oil once a year, changing the filter every 6 months. ATF lasts 3 times longer (100,000 miles) than petroleum ATF. Gear lube is typically a one time fill for the life of the vehicle. All of the products will reduce operating temps 20 to 50 degrees F. And flow at temps well below zero.

Ask yourself this question - If you knew of something that would make your life easier, save you time and money and had a proven track record of almost 30 years, would you want to take advantage of it?

Resurrecting this old thread...to talk about AMSOIL...
I am debating Mobil1 and AMSOIL right now myself.

1. Is AMSOIL only available from the company? Or are there other distributors?

2. Is it really wise to only change oil 1 time per year with AMSOIL synthetic motor oil? Even if it's great stuff (and I have seen the motor oil comparison studies) wouldn't it be better to go with the standard 3 month interval? Or is this overkill with AMSOIL?

3. Is it ok to switch from dino Pennzoil 5W-30 to AMSOIL? Should I use the AMSOIL engine flush or simply change the oil as normal?

How does the AMSOIL oil filter rate? Do I need the SDF (Super Duty) oil filter?

Rhett,

In response to your questions:

1) AMSOIL is readily available factory direct. You can buy retail or wholesale. Because we are such a small company, you will not find us in any of the major automotive parts stores. There a many independents out there who may handle it. It's much easier and less time consuming to order it direct than to run around town looking for it.

2) The drain interval is up to you. AMSOIL guarantees its motor oils to perform for one year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Using an AMSOIL SDF oil filter, just change the filter and top off the crankcase at 6 months or 12,500 miles.

3) It's OK to switch from dino. We do recommend that you flush the engine with AMSOIL Engine Flush (part no. AEF) when you are ready to change oil. Synthetics have a detergent action that is inherent with their chemistry. By flushing the engine of any deposits and build-up, you eliminate the chance of clogging the filter prematurely.

4) The AMSOIL SDF filter is the best filter on the market today. It filters more finer particles and holds more junk in the filter than anyone else. We recommend using the SDF filter with our motor oils for optimum performance.

Thank you for your questions. If you would like some additional info, please e-mail me. We'll be happy to help you out any way we can.

What about the remote filters?

With my project under way...I need to find out about remote filters. Does Amsoil have a remote filter that will fit a 93 Mutsang 302 block? I need a 90 degree fitting on the block for clearance. I also need plenty of Line Lenght since I dont know where I want to mount it.

And just to add some more info...

I want to be able to "T" of the remote lines for both pressure & Temp for gauges mounted in the "A" pillar.

Thanks Rob

AMSOIL air filter

While we're at it, what is the part # for the AMSOIL air filter for a V6 OHV 4.0 explorer motor? It's the flat type; someone mentioned the T-22 on another thread but I'm not sure.

Rob,
AMSOIL has a remote filter system we call a Dual Remote. It consists of a regular full flow SDF oil filter and a By-Pass filter. The By-Pass filter will filter 100% of particles 3 microns and larger and 98+% of 1 micron particles. The kit comes complete will everything you will need for the installation including all fittings and 8' of hose. If you need more, your local hydraulics hose store or parts store will have what you need. An SAE test conducted about 8 years ago showed that use of this filtering system can reduce engine wear from 68% to 92%. The BMK-13 kit retails for about $230.

Rhett,
The part number for your air filter is TS-88. It retails for $32.30 and is washable and reusable.

Back