• Register Today It's free!

mod a V8 bang for buck

Techmonster

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
recently just bought my 97 V8 X. Bone stock right now, and don't wanna put alot of money into mods, but can someone give me a few ideas which can be the biggest bang for your buck mods. lokking to spice it up a little. Thanks for the input, bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3 things for the "big bang" at the best cost to gain ratio:

1. Less restrictive air intake set-up- i.e. cold air kit
2. Less restrictive exhaust system- the options are endless
3. Computer chip for reprogramming

If you address those three issues without doing extensive transmission, rear end, fuel management mods., etc. you will come out ahead of the game.

I have a mac air intake for the v8 I am looking to sell. If you are interested pm me

JamesT point is well taken. The basic tranny kit allows for mechanical improvement of shifting for maximized performance with a relatively easy install of the new plates and springs and drilling a couple holes. In my case I have a mechanical shift kit in addition to computer transmission control with a chip.

If you get, for instance, a power programmer which reprograms the computer and shifting parameters, a mechanical shift kit is not particularly necessary.

Your thoughts James t?

well, i thought the whole thing about the 4r70w tranny was that it was a great tranny right out of the box. I love this tranny so mauch for than the A4ld that's in my 94. It is just so crisp when it shift and rarely seems confused. Beside, i'm kinda scared about drilling holes in the tranny anyhow, and doing stuff besides a typical pan drop and filter change.

The programmer wont work anywere near as good as the baumann kit. It helps, but they are worlds different. The kit instructions are some of the best ive seen, and dont be worried if you've never really been in a tranny before. It really is pretty easy.

Yeah, I installed the baumann shift kit last summer. Very easy, I've never been in a transmission before, world of difference in shifting, A1 mod!

james t said:
The programmer wont work anywere near as good as the baumann kit. It helps, but they are worlds different. The kit instructions are some of the best ive seen, and dont be worried if you've never really been in a tranny before. It really is pretty easy.

How easy are we talking here? 1.5 hours or less with no special tools and half a brain? My B & M Electronic Shift Enhancer is in the process of taking a crap. It started shifting like an A4ld going bad. (I had a '91 once on its 3rd tranny) With it shut off, I can really feel a difference. Me want firmer shift back.

Expect longer than 1.5 hours. I took my time and double checked everything and it probably took me about 5 hours. But the directions were so good, it made it really simple. The only special tools you will need are torque wrenches.

I would say 2-5 hours install time. No special tools needed (other than the torque wrench).

Back