Mod suggestions-First Explorer 1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mod suggestions-First Explorer 1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0

jhoncho4x4

Reaction score
City, State
New Paris Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I bought my first explorer about a week ago. A 1997 Eddie Bauer with the 5.0 liter and full time 4x4. (pic attached) With the soft suspension I noticed right away that the shocks was wore out. So I took a shot in the dark and bolted on 4 new "Monroe-matic plus" shock absorbers. I don't know how good these are supposed to be, but they definetly helped. According to my owners manual, it has 3:73 gears, which I was impressed with.
From what I have read so far on this forum, I should be able to fit 31x10.50R15 tires on it. So my next step is to find a set of aggressive tires for it and an add a leaf for the back. I am hoping the add a leaf will stiffen up the back.
1) Any suggestions on which add a leaf?
After installing the add a leaf, I was also going to adjust the torsion bars to level it back out
2) I am new to Explorers, is there anything I should know about this particular model?
3)Any oddities, problems to look out for?
4) Any suggestions on a rim offset/backspacing to bring the wheels out closer to flush with the Eddie Bauer fender flares? (pic attached)
5) A cheap simple solution to uncork that 5.0 and hear it sing?

If I should divide these questions up for different areas of the forum, let me know. I am new to this forum and have not yet figured out the protocol for posting here.

I have attached some pics of the Explorer and one of my F150 to give you guys a better idea of the direction I am going with.
The F150 is a 2003 model Supercrew FX4 with a 3" body lift, torsion bar leveling, 35x12.50R17 Wild Country Radial MTX tires. For exhaust I just cut out the stock muffler and replaced with a straight pipe between the cats and tail pipe.
I am wanting to do a milder version to the Explorer, my wife has to drive it.
DSCF0776.jpg

DSCF0802.jpg

DSCF0801.jpg

Back