Moderate upgrades to 2000 XLT... Suggestions/advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moderate upgrades to 2000 XLT... Suggestions/advice needed

ExplorerXLT95

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
I am looking to upgrade (slightly) the overall performance and gas mileage of my 2000 XLT. As such, I am considering the following upgrades:

- K&N FIPK
- Bosch Platinum 4+ plugs
- Larger Ignition wires (what brand?? Splitfire, Bosch, other? 8mm-10mm?)
- Exhaust (what brand?? Flowmaster, Gibson, other?)
- Superchips ECU piggy-back chip (do they still make these?)

On my previous '95 XLT, I had the K&N FIPK, Bosch Platinum 4+ plugs, Splitfire 8mm Ignition wires, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust and a Superchips ECU piggy-back chip (hence the choices in upgrades for this one).

However, that was a 4.0L OHV, whereas this is the 4.0L SOHC. I have been away from the aftermarket for Explorers for so long (busy with the Cobra), I have lost all touch.

What do you think about the above mods for overall performance and gas mileage increase? Do you have any better suggestions? Also, please provide some suggestions for ignition wires and exhaust...

Thanks in advance, fellas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

- K&N FIPK

- Bosch Platinum 4+ plugs

- Larger Ignition wires (what brand?? Splitfire, Bosch, other? 8mm-10mm?)

- Exhaust (what brand?? Flowmaster, Gibson, other?)

- Superchips ECU piggy-back chip (do they still make these?)

The K & N intake is an excellent one, yet, there are other good ones out there too. I personally like the Mac.

Forget those +4 plugs, go wih Motorcraft double platinum.

There are many good spark plug wires.

Pick the muffler of your choice and have a local muffler shop make a custom cat back for you.

Chips are a thing of the past, consider a computer tune. Contact Doug at Bama Chips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ).

Good luck ....

aldive said:
The K & N intake is an excellent one, yet, there are other good ones out there too. I personally like the Mac.

Forget those +4 plugs, go wih Motorcraft double platinum.

There are many good spark plug wires.

Pick the muffler of your choice and have a local muffler shop make a custom cat back for you.

Chips are a thing of the past, consider a computer tune. Contact Doug at Bama Chips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ ).

Good luck ....

I will probably stick with the K&N FIPK, since I've used it on two different vehicles and liked it both times.

Reason for the Motorcraft double platinum over the Bosch 4+?

Any suggestions for good manufacturers of spark plug wires?

I did the weld-in thing last time with the Flowmaster 40-series muffler. Perhaps I'll do that this time also.

I will check out those chips...

I would go with a Flowmaster or V-Force muffler. I wouldn't weld it in, I would have a cat-back made. As for wires I don't know what to tell you, Im in the same spot. I need them and don't know what the best is to get.

UnfnshedSport97 said:
I would go with a Flowmaster or V-Force muffler. I wouldn't weld it in, I would have a cat-back made. As for wires I don't know what to tell you, Im in the same spot. I need them and don't know what the best is to get.

I suppose I will just go with what worked before. Hopefully Splitfire still a) is around and b) makes good stuff.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for ignition wires?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy the K&N FIPK (Part No. 57-2528), that would be helpful also.

ExplorerXLT95 said:
I suppose I will just go with what worked before. Hopefully Splitfire still a) is around and b) makes good stuff.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for ignition wires?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy the K&N FIPK (Part No. 57-2528), that would be helpful also.

Read up on Aurora wires. Good stuff.

No idea about K&N. ALL intakes work the same. K&N are on the pricey side no matter where you look. If you want to drop the big bucks (K&N always has a price premium), consider Volant. The box keeps the filter drier and cleaner with no restriction.

Back