• Register Today It's free!

modifications in VA

AKfun4wheelin

Reaction score
City, State
was Anchorage, Alaska now San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4wd
Not sure if this is the right category or not. We are a military family that is being transferred to Washington, DC. I remember reading something about not being able to modify you X in Virginia. I have mine lifted and some other mods. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what are the laws in VA? And can register it in VA. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To try to get a feel for the inspection laws of Virginia, go Dead Link Removed. You are allowed to modify your vehicle to a certain extent in Virginia. They're pretty tight on extra lights, but I see lifted trucks running around all of the time. I only had to argue with the inspector once about my fog lights, but I knew I was right so I wasn't worried about it. The inspection stations vary in thourghness of the inspection. The place I go to, if you go in with a newer vehicle, they check the lights, horn, and a few other things, and they send you on your way. I have heard some horror stories from other people, however.

yea...there are definately a lot of regulations on lighting.

Okrazie1...my fog lights were also one of the few dissagreements my inspector and i had...along with the brushguard, and taillight guards(which i had to remove in order to pass the inspection).

but, AKfun4wheelin....there are plenty of lifted vehicles in virginia, and plenty of vehicles with lots of lights on them...its pretty easy to get past all the retarded laws.

I agree with the other two and would just like to add that some places in Northern Virginia can be a pain but most are fine. If you head further west or south of that area they get more relaxed. Of course my truck is only lightly modified but I've never had any problems with all the lights I've had festooned over it over the past few years.

I can't say much about lifts but I see lifted vehicles all the time and I can't imagine they take it out every year.

Thanks guys for all the info! I only have fog/driving lights and they are below the bumper so I dont think I will have any problems! Thanks again!:D

Back