Modified Air Box & Split Fire Plugs...NICE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified Air Box & Split Fire Plugs...NICE!

Isles4evr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL 2dr
I cut 22 1" holes in my air box on wednesday. I am still using my stock paper filter (K&N hasn't come yet), and noticed a gas milage increase/hp increase. I recently put 32's on my rig for the stock P235's and lost a lot of power. The modified air box helps midrance HP and gave like 2 miles to the gallon. I also LOVe the noise it makes at around 2500-3200 RMS... it makes it sounds like a V8, very beastly.

I then put split fire plugs in and I noticed a little more power off the line, and a 2 mile to the gallon increase. I am getting better gas millage now then I was with the stock tires!!

Doing these two mods also smothed out the ride, and stopped my dancing voltage. I am very happy with them. I'll see if I can get a pic of my air box for anyone who wants it.

Chris

If I could ask you a silly question, how did you modify your airbox? Drilling holes? Cutting holes with a knife. when I tried to modify mine with a drill the whole thing busted in 2. had to go get one from a wreckers to replace it.

Nah, that's not a silly question. When I first started, I drilled a starter hole with a 1/8" bit, and then was going to drill a whole bunch of holes with a 1/2" bit. The 1/2" bit didn't work too well... i didn't even get one hole done. So I took one of the circle drill bits that you use for drilling holes in doors to put the handles in, you know what i mean? I used the 1 inch bit and ripped through everything like it was nothing.

Chris

Cool, thanks. that's what I was going to try next.

Thanks again.

Back