Modified "Cold Air" Airbox

jjue

Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member
Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Nissan Titan CC LE
Well, I finally got around to finishing my cold air setup. For those of you who remember, I didn't want "swiss cheese" my airbox since I wanted cold air, not warm engine air. Anyway, I ended up taking the silencer off for a while to see what the engine would do with just more air. As expected, the engine was able to breathe when the effective area was expanded to about 12 sq.in. Well, I wanted the cold air, so I used the silencer again just so that I could have something to fit the 4" dryer hose to the air box, and I expanded the opening of the shield so that cold air was coming in, not warm engine air. Basically, I used about 6" or dryer hosing and plenty of silicone for attaching the hose to the airbox. I chopped all of the silencer down except for the part that attaches to the airbox since I was needing something to wrap the hose around. I used a Dremel to expand out the shield for the larger 4" hose to pass through. I think that about 2" ended up sticking past the shield, but that was ok by me. The end result was an area that expanded from about 4 sq.in. to about 12 sq.in.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Personally, my roommate, who races EFI Mustangs, and I thought that this is a better idea than swiss cheese or the K&N FIPK since I'm making sure that I get cold air.

Interesting concept.

Do you have any performance date yet? Seat of the pants feel, track times. gas mileage?

Thanks....

Well, I haven't been to the track yet, but it definitely pulls harder at top end. It seems to like pull past 4200 rpm, and the pull can still be felt a little until 5000 rpm. Also, I have managed to chirp the tires when I let the transmission shift itselft from 1st to 2nd. As for gas milage, it seems to be the same since I can't seem to keep my foot out of it. :)

Well, I went home for the weekend, and when I came back, I got a little over 21 mpg. My typical trip home on MS 25 is usually between 17 & 19 mpg depending on conditions. I was doing about 63-65 on the 2-lane part of MS 25, 73-75 on the 4-lane part of MS 25, and 57 or 58 on the Natchez Trace, and I was running the AC the entire time. I was also passing about 4-6 cars on the 2-lane parts. So far, cold air seems to work fine. In fact when passing, I don't have to disable O/D before passing unless I really think that I need to get the engine to downshift into 2nd momentarily while passing.

Back