Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body

So what is the verdict Zab- Do you suggest shaving and grinding the combs flush? Do they really do anything or can they be eliminated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what is the verdict Zab- Do you suggest shaving and grinding the combs flush? Do they really do anything or can they be eliminated.

If you do not care about any extra intake or throttle noise, ( possible a low whistle, or a hissing noise) then remove them... Just do it clean, don't leave little jagged points sticking into the air flow...

I usually remove them on the new gaskets I give my ST customers with 01 Job 1 Sport Tracs where it has the plastic spacer gasket.

Al is the first customer that had me do work for MPG, all of the ST work is for throttle response and a few more ponies....

Todd Z

I am running a Zabteck throttle body. Those are my pictures up at the front of the thread showing the change. I was an initial tester (I think 2nd or 3rd person with one) and did the write up on the Sport Trac site. Throttle response is improved and there is a solid gain on the dyno. I was there, I saw it, a solid HP gain on a hot June afternoon. If someone else knows of a straight up bolt on throttle body for the Sport Trac that costs less than Todd's, and has the same performance, I'd love to see it. Everyone that's saying they could do it for cheaper, good, do it. I'm sure if it was possible to do it cheaper, someone would; I highly doubt that anyone can do it for less than Todd on the scale he does and get as quick a turn around as he does.

Well, just for the heck of it I went ahead and pulled my TB off this weekend and did some reworking. I started by cleaning it up really well, removed the butterfly and half shafted the throttle shaft. Filed and flushed the screws, polished the shaft and even smoothed the edges of the butterfly. Move the TPS as well to get as close to .99v as I could.

Had the batt. cable off the whole time so the EEC was good and clear. First thing I noticed was the idle was up from ~500rpm in park to around 900rpm now and the idle was noticeably smoother (always new it was idleing too low) I did also notice a slight bit more throttle response and SOTP feel when coming down on it to pass. But overall it took me an hour to do and wasn't hard at all.

Would I say its worth it?----------- if you do it yourself, yea why not.

But pay $200-300 for it, NOPE.

Well let's see some pictures of your handywork.

Well let's see some pictures of your handywork.

Al I know you did not mean me, But I will show off !!!!
This is an 01 Sport Trac TB Bored to 69MM, Shaft, Screw mod and A new throttle plate.
TB01sidebyside.JPG

This is al's Ford racing one next to Mine
Fordthrottlebody%20001.jpg

Another
Fordthrottlebody%20002.jpg

Hold on now. I can't speak for everyone but I was under the impression that Todd was just milling down the shaft and grinding screws. I've since talked with Todd and I've learned that that wasn't the case. So if boring is involved then yes, the price might be close.

Gee, I mentioned that in the first post.

You might want to go and read the very first post you typed up. You said shaft and screws.

as well as ...

Upon consulting with Todd several times, I decided to have him also enlarge the throttle body bore before the butterfly valve ( which was 65mm ) to as close to 70mm, like the rest of the throttle body, as possible in addition to the screw and shaft modification. Why Ford made that throttle body that way is a mystery to me.

I did re read the post.

Test results ….

The first 250 mile leg of the test was with the new throttle body. The average speed was 69.3 MPH. Gas mileage was 32.6 MPG.

The second 250 mile leg of the test was with the old ( stock ) throttle body. Average speed was 68.9 MPH. Gas mileage was 31.2 MPG.

The net increase in gas mileage is 1.4 MPG. The difference in throttle response is easily noted.

Test results ….

The first 250 mile leg of the test was with the new throttle body. The average speed was 69.3 MPH. Gas mileage was 32.6 MPG.

The second 250 mile leg of the test was with the old ( stock ) throttle body. Average speed was 68.9 MPH. Gas mileage was 31.2 MPG.

The net increase in gas mileage is 1.4 MPG. The difference in throttle response is easily noted.

Well, who can argue with that? Not bad.

Todd, on the Zabtech Website who's green Sportrack is smoking up the skins?

That X looks like it is making 228hp at the wheel, even after the breakstand he was able to keep the tires spinning for a good while.

That shows a crap load of power to pull off such a feat. A true mark of power and torque is how easily a car can rip up the tires.

You see a car that can shred the tires instantly by just stomping on the gas and you know that vehicle has some serious balls.

The Green ST is my Sport Trac....... And it a posi rear, so no one wheel peals here... LOL......

The 228 Dyno chart I don't have I lost when I moved along with my 1/4 mile time slip of 15.9 and 16.1 runs, But will have some new one soon, The ones I have I posted below...
Take them for what there worth... The truck gets up and goes and Is a fun ride to drive.... It does weight in at 5200 LBS with me and a 1/2 tank of gas....
AL,
Thats some good MPG, I Can get about 27 highway right now, So Nice to see I can get more ...

Here is the burn out video

http://www.zabteck.com/Burnout.wmv

Here is a dyno run....

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/10452/Dyno/DYNO 003edited.wmv

Todd Z

Highflowcat%20011.JPG

Burnout%20002.jpg

Burnout%20004.jpg

Rainyday1.jpg

Rainyday2.jpg

Dynorun2.JPG

dynorun1.JPG

http://www.zabteck.com/Burnout.wmv

Al- I totally misread/misunderstood you post as well. I thought you were just getting the shaft modded and screws ground flush. I did not know Todd was giving you a new water jet cut plate, a nice boring job and all mods for that price. That makes it seem much more reasonable now.

As jakee said, I didn't come in to piss anyone off. I just wanted to state some fact and see some true results. I've been wrong many times and not afraid to admit it, how else do we hard headed mechanic types learn!

Todd- hope no offense was taken, looks like you do great work and nice ST by the way! Thats my next ride I think, got my eye on a beautiful dark green 03 right now...

Jakee, you're spinning one wheel. You only have to overcome the force of friction for one tire. People with LSD have to overcome twice the frictional force for two tires, so theoretically, they will need twice the power. This means your truck could have half the power of mine or Todd's and you'd still be able to theoretically break the tire loose.

Jakee, you're spinning one wheel. You only have to overcome the force of friction for one tire. People with LSD have to overcome twice the frictional force for two tires, so theoretically, they will need twice the power. This means your truck could have half the power of mine or Todd's and you'd still be able to theoretically break the tire loose.

Guys, No offense taken at all, I too like all the facts to make an accurate decision for my self and do try to look out for others....

The dark Green ( Aspen Green) is nice, that is close to what my 98 mustang was...

JEFF, I will still say though your ST is still faster..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sorry Jakee, one wheel is dog mess in my book. You need to be able to inihilate both skins at once. Sitting still? What type/size of tires are you running?

Todd, 290lb of Torque at the wheels is damn good better than many years of GT Mustangs.

Sorry Jakee, one wheel is dog mess in my book. You need to be able to inihilate both skins at once. Sitting still? What type/size of tires are you running?

Todd, 290lb of Torque at the wheels is damn good better than many years of GT Mustangs.

Lazzman,
That number is the Max the dyno recorded during the run, IT could have been a shift or a momentary thrust number. The crossing of the lines is the "normal" point where they read a dyno graph, But there are higher recorded numbers, Thats where a good ruler or straight edge can be used to read the true high points of what the truck was putting out.....

I also have noticed at 60 when you hit WOT it will let the rear end loose in the rain.....
From a dead stop I can get some noise from them but no smoke....

The St runs 255/70/16's Don't know if this is the same as the full body X ?
Todd Z

Jakee I seriously doubt you would beat me. I am running 4.10's and a performance valve body in my trany. The acceleration si fassst and with your one wheel gimp you wouldn't even get off the line, my 4 wheel auto would kick in and I would be gone.

Jakee, you know nothing about my truck to make such bold statements. My dyno numbers will come up soon and you will eat Crow. I don't ever recall you diagnosing my problem, which happened to be a bad ECT sensor.

You should not take things personal- I never respected a single track vehicle that could smoke one tire- thats just me and I am sure everyone else would agree. It is not a true sign of power as au1st said, I doubt you would be able to break a posi traction unit loose the way you do with one tire?

I am a drag racer and have owned many very fast vehicles from Big blocks to small blocks to Turbo's.

My original comment was that from Todd Z's video his truck shows major power in order to get the tires blazing that quickly and still follow through for about 60 feet down the road.

I am not downing your ride and am impressed with the many things you have done. Your Ride better be quick with all of those mods you have done, by the way where are your Dyno Numbers???

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, as James from Henson performance says your a decent guy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al, great numbers sir. :thumbsup:

You guys are funny... I love to read all of these hp threads. Everyone trying to up the other one. :D

Brakestand burnouts blah blah blah really don't show big hp and really aren't all that impressive, especially with stock size street tires. Although Todd's going 60+ ft. afterward is.

It's not mine but this is a 170k+ miles stock '91 ohv with 150hp with a detroit full c-clip locker (posi) burning 35s with a spare 35 and trail gear including a bunch of tools on dry pavement...

burnout.jpg

Back