Modified RA Crossmember?

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
The Radius Arm Crossmember in my Explorer is in the way of me dropping in my 5.0L/4R70W.

I want to know if anyone has modified how I am going to do.

I want to make it a 3 piece set-up, instead of a 2 piece.

I will cut the cross member about 2 inches inbound from each Radius Arm hole. I will remove the clips and bolts from the now removed center section. I will slide the pieces apart a couple inches so it will bridge the 2 remaining brackets still on the frame. Weld the 2 pieces together to make it a solid center section. Then re-use the clips and bolts to secure the now solid section back into remaining brackets on the frame.

The MAIN reason I would like to do this, is for ease of transmission servicing, and/or pulling the Engine and Transmission as 1 assembly if I ever need to. Un bolting 4 bolts to gain the clearance is a LOT better than loosening the RA bolts, AND the other 8 bolts or so to drop the whole bracket.

What do you think of this idea? Has anyone done it? Does anyone NOT understand what I am thinking of doing? Any drawback to this design?

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody?

Try asking in the Offroad Driveline section. Might get a little more interest and response.

This isn't even CLOSE to an offroad mod though....

I think I understand what you want to do..

The factory Radius Arm bracket overlaps each other in the center. That means to remove the center section of the bracket you actually remove both sides.

You want to be able to remove the center section of the RA bracket by welding the center section together and then making the overlap closer to the frame.

In "theory" it might work but the factory overlap is about 5 or 6 inches. I don't think you will be able to get that kind of overlap to keep the strength.

BTW.. the factory stuff gets much of its strength from the bends they put into the metal etc.. the metal itself isn't that strong...

Another idea is get the RA mounts from one of those extended Radius arm kits that still uses the factory post type end of the Radius arm. Those bolt to the Frame and do not have the cross brace between them.

The other "possible" option is to take the RA mounts from an f-150. My what I've seen they "appear" to use the same size Raidus Arm post and they are connected to the frame, each side is independent..

Hopefully, that helped and maybe spur some ideas.. :)

~Mark

This isn't even CLOSE to an offroad mod though....

Ya, but lots of people make custom RA cross members to increase suspension travel. I think that's what he was getting at.

Ya, but lots of people make custom RA cross members to increase suspension travel. I think that's what he was getting at.

Yes it was...

True story, BUT most off road trucks have extended radius arms that eliminate that crossmember all together. That would be an option that may be easier/cheaper. Extended RA's with no lift.

Back