Modifying 2008 Ex 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

xBIGxBE4Rx

Reaction score
City, State
Browns Summit, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ex 4x4 Eddie Bauer
Hey I need some assistance with lifting or installing a leveling kit. I want to make my Ex better with offroading and trail riding. Because of how the suspension is set up, a suspension lift is not an option. Or is it? I take it offroad when I can and Ive only neem stuck a few times. Also, as far as the 4x4 Auto goes, is there any way i can change that so when the rear wheels spin the front dont automatically kick in?

i am getting ready to do a very heavy suspension revamp on my 06 4x4 4.6 limited X

BTF Fab upper control arms (longer than stock) which include 1" upper uniball joints
BTF Fab level lift kit (+3" front, +2.5" rear)
RANCHO Quicklift front coilovers (+1" front)
RANCHO RS5000x rear struts
AC DELCO PRO rear springs
ADDCO Rear sway bar upgrade (1 1/8" diameter from < 1")
MEVOTECH TTX front lower ball joints
MEVOTECH TTX front and rear sway bar links
MOOG front sway bar bushings upgrade

hopefully some slightly bigger tires in a year....Good Year Duratrack 275/70/R18

Currently running:
KN Intake
GIBSON exhaust cat back
BORA 1.5" wheel spacers
265/60/R18

It can be done up to 4" ish...
im going to post a full length build post and let the world know.
total cost in the end is about $3k without tires...that includes the intake and exhaust and spacers
with tires is about another $1k

I'd stay away from Mevotech ball joints. The terrain tough ones I put in my stock height F250 less than 30k ago all have some play. After about 8k miles I kept hearing a knocking and one of the lower ball joints had already failed. Replaced that 1 and now all the others need replaced. Don't let the "terrain tough" name confuse you, they are fancy junk. Buy moog.

Back