Modifying my 5.0 Explorer with 5.0 Stang Parts.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifying my 5.0 Explorer with 5.0 Stang Parts....

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I am thinking about rebuilding my 110,000 mile 5.0 Engine and starting with some AFR Heads and a Holley Systemax upper and lower from a 1995 5.0 Mustang. Will these parts fit? What mods do I need to do to make them fit? How will it affect reliability?

Also, will a Cold Air Intake from a 5.0 Mustang fit on my 5.0 Upper intake? It looks the same but Im not sure.

Lastly, I want to get a Flowmaster for my explorer. Is it bolt on or do I need to cut/weld?

Thanks
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking about rebuilding my 110,000 mile 5.0 Engine and starting with some AFR Heads and a Holley Systemax upper and lower from a 1995 5.0 Mustang. Will these parts fit? What mods do I need to do to make them fit? How will it affect reliability?

Also, will a Cold Air Intake from a 5.0 Mustang fit on my 5.0 Upper intake? It looks the same but Im not sure.

Lastly, I want to get a Flowmaster for my explorer. Is it bolt on or do I need to cut/weld?

Thanks
Joe

The Flowmaster can be either. I would recommend having it done at an exhaust shop instead of ordering it online. This way they can do it to YOUR vehicle, and there's no chance of a mix up. I would also do it from the cat back, and go with a bigger piping then stock.

I don't know about the other things though.

also not to thread jack but,will a 5.0 mustang header fit the 5.0 explorer.i can't help but think that is the worst stock header in history.

The stock GT40P heads are very good for stock parts. The AFR heads would be better, but without more flow through the headers or engine, not much would be gained.

The OEM headers are horrible, anything done there would help a lot. Only the three Explorer headers can be used. To gain much from aftermarket heads, a larger engine would be wise(347). The stock Explorer intake is as good or better than any OEM 302 intake ever made. Not much would be gained by that Holley intake.

Sorry, but the whole engine would need some work, as they come stock only the headers are deficient. Regards,

The stock GT40P heads are very good for stock parts. The AFR heads would be better, but without more flow through the headers or engine, not much would be gained.

The OEM headers are horrible, anything done there would help a lot. Only the three Explorer headers can be used. To gain much from aftermarket heads, a larger engine would be wise(347). The stock Explorer intake is as good or better than any OEM 302 intake ever made. Not much would be gained by that Holley intake.

Sorry, but the whole engine would need some work, as they come stock only the headers are deficient. Regards,

What about Cold Air Intake systems? Will a BBK or MAC CAI from a 5.0 Mustang work on my 5.0? Right now I want to do a CAI, Headers and Catback. Any other advice on how to make it go fast, please advise. :salute:

How much $$$ am I looking at for a 347 short block?

Most people choose the MAC air cleaner, it's less expensive. I highly suggest an Amsoil air filter for what ever air cleaner you settle on. Those filter out dirt much better.

The high end headers are high dollar, many people have them. A flasher for the PCM will be needed for any serious changes, to get the most HP from the combination. By now most trucks will need some trans work as well for more performance in the future.

I'm hinting that the costs beyond basic engine work will be a lot compared to the value of the truck. If the plan is to keep it regardless of costs(mine), then you can do a lot.

A basic 302 build or even a budget 347 can be done for $2000 give or take depending on how radical or how far away from stock parts you get. Because these are identical to Mustang 302's(keep the rpm below 5500), you can shop around in Mustang circles and dig up some good bargains.

I'm rebuilding my 177k miles truck, with a 347 and built trans. I'm keeping this for a long time, so most of my stuff will be new. Note that I am building this 347 and using the stock intake manifolds and throttle body, they are that good. The lower needs to be ported for real air flow above 5000rpm, as does the TB. Much of my cost will be in the heads, cam, and professional assembly. I'm planning for adding boost later, so upgraded parts raise the costs more.

Hunt around here for examples of what others have done with their 302, or a 347. If you keep the engine normally aspirated, you can get a lot of power from just pushing the compression up. Add a custom camshaft and PCM tune, that will wake up these trucks. Check out Jon's 347 Mountaineer on here, he has a few videos, short clips. Regards,

Back