modifying xterrain tread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

modifying xterrain tread

....think it would be possible to modify the tread of my xterrains that would help them clean out better in the mud? would that be a lost cause? would it ruin my tire wear? if i can't get rid of these things i need to do something. maybe turn each lug into 2 seperate lugs. would that help? i don't want to screw them up. jus if i could change them for the better. i've seen people modify the tread on swampers and what not. but what benifits does that have? would they clean out even better or is it mainly for better wet traction. i don't mean jus siping the tires. and not recapping them with new tread. but jus taking what it has and altering it. would that help me at all. or probably not enough to make it worth doing in the first place. or is it kinda like a 50/50 chance it would help or hurt. anyone done this? or something similair?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think what you're talking about is called 'grooving'.

When people groove Swampers and turn each large lug into two smaller ones, it's usually so the tire tread can flex better for traction on rocks.

I like the way you're thinking, though. :thumbsup: If you can find a grooving tool, I would widen the voids between treadblocks if you want to have better cleaning. Try to slope the sides of the lugs, too. Like this _/-\_/-\_/-\_. (best I can do on a keyboard!)

thanks all... that helps. and $70 or so for the tool thats not too bad. i'll hold off for a lil in case someone wants these from me. but if worst comes to worst i might jus try the grooving thing and see if it helps me any. the whole /-\ /-\ thing with the tread sounds good. give it a lil more room between the lugs. now another question... if i do this does it have to be exactly in the same place on every lug and if it was a lil off does that throw my balance off. it shouldn't be that hard to get them precise. but if its a lil off will that hurt it? and since the tread area or tread blocks are going to be somewhat smaller i can expect to get some quicker wear... correct? and could i assume that i would be able to tell the difference between before and after or is there a very good chance i wouldn't notice i even did anything. or i really only find out if i try it first...

when it is done right you will notice more traction cause of more contact points to the road and increased contact pressure per point.

This site has a thing on tire groving http://www.performanceunlimited.com/ as they will grove tires for you. It has been some time sence I have read the articls they have but it may help you out.

Will it increase tire wear? Maybe to Probably depending on how crazy you get with the grover. If you make large changes in how for the lugs are spaced apart or narrow the lugs by a large amount they yes. The increase in contact pressure per contact point will make them grub/grind into the surface more increasing wear.

I am sure if you search some sites like www.Pirate4x4.com or Google tire groveing you find much more info. Also, I am not a expert in this feild of information, but the info I have given you is some that I have read on different sites.

Back