Mods, might it be worthwhile to start a dedicated "Explorer Tires" thread or sticky? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mods, might it be worthwhile to start a dedicated "Explorer Tires" thread or sticky?

TimGinCentralNJ

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomsbury, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 X XLT 4WD
Only because the 2011 and on Explorer really is such a departure from all other Ford trucks/SUVs, I was wondering if it might make some sense to create either a dedicated "Replacement Tire" thread or even a sticky note for our vehicles (?)

I'm in the process of trying to research what tires folks here have moved on to after their stick Michelins or Hankooks wore out, but the tire information I'm finding using the Search feature is pretty fragmented, and of course heading over to the board's "main" Tire forum lands you amidst a bunch of discussions re: what the best 35" mudder tire is for the money ;)

Just curious!

As for my tire search, I really love the stock Michelins which came on my 2011 XLT 4WD, and although they're wearing very evenly, I guess I wasn't expecting them to be down to 4/32's in just 40k miles. I know that's not awful for a 2.5 ton crossover, but I've got another 7 months on the lease and am considering buying it out (would love to pony up for a pre-owned Sport, but that means the kids won't be going to college - lol)....I'm just not sure I can justify the $900 for another set of Michelins. Right now, I'm looking at the new Pirelli Scorpian Verde, the Bridgestone H/L 422 Ecopia and possibly the Firestone Destination LE 2's. Was also curious about the Nitto 421Q's all-seasons, but they seem more "sport truck" biased which, in my mind, means they'll suck in any amount of white stuff....this is a deal-breaker for me.

Other recommendations on SUV/Crossover specific all-season tires in "H" speed ratings are welcome :)

Thanks,
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a comment on the Pirelli Scorpions.

My brother has an 2012 F150 FX4 and he took them off right away because of how poor they were in the rain. Apparently the dealership is doing this on a lot of new F150's coming with these tires.

I find this odd because I know how much engineering goes into tire selection for these vehicles.

The F150 forums don't speak very highly of those OEM Pirelli tires as well.

Unless the Verde is a completely different tire I would be cautious with that one.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Product/product.aspx?pageNum=1&subNum=1&ChildNum=3&FnCode=03

I really don't think you will find a better tire for this generation of Explorers than the stock Michelins that come with it. There is a 2012 Ex owner I know, that told me he hates the Hankooks that are on his and cant wait until they are worn out so he can put something else.
My Ex has the Michelins and after 2 years and over 26000 miles they are showing very little wear and the truck still handles like it did new. I will definitely be getting the Michelins when tires are due.

Sarg-

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Verde is a totally different tire than the original model Scorpion which I also heard were garbage.

For me, I tend to look at tire models on a case-by-case basis. Reason being, even Michelin which (from my ownership experiences) is about the best overall tire manufacturer, has produced some one-off truly horrible tire models in the past. On the other end of the spectrum, Goodyear, which I think has produced mostly horrible tires (other than automotive racing applications), has actually made a couple of decent UHPAS tires over the last few years.

So, long story short, I do tend to put some confidence in owner reviews, and so far, they're saying the Verde is a pretty decent tire for whatever that's worth.

Thanks,
Tim

I really don't think you will find a better tire for this generation of Explorers than the stock Michelins that come with it. There is a 2012 Ex owner I know, that told me he hates the Hankooks that are on his and cant wait until they are worn out so he can put something else.
My Ex has the Michelins and after 2 years and over 26000 miles they are showing very little wear and the truck still handles like it did new. I will definitely be getting the Michelins when tires are due.

I agree. I really liked our stock Michelins, too. My used Infiniti also came with them (although I didn't opt to pony up almost a cool G-note to replace them) and really made the car handle well.

My issue now is, we haven't decided if we're going to buy out our lease yet. If we decide we will keep it, I will likely put another set of the Michelins on it. If not, I will need to return our Explorer in July with decent tread on the tires, so I might as well do it now and get some use of them this winter....but would rather not spent the money on the Michelins.

Tim

Sarg-

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Verde is a totally different tire than the original model Scorpion which I also heard were garbage.

For me, I tend to look at tire models on a case-by-case basis. Reason being, even Michelin which (from my ownership experiences) is about the best overall tire manufacturer, has produced some one-off truly horrible tire models in the past. On the other end of the spectrum, Goodyear, which I think has produced mostly horrible tires (other than automotive racing applications), has actually made a couple of decent UHPAS tires over the last few years.

So, long story short, I do tend to put some confidence in owner reviews, and so far, they're saying the Verde is a pretty decent tire for whatever that's worth.

Thanks,
Tim

Agreed

I was actually shocked to hear the negativity towards the Pirelli's. I always associated quality tires with the Pirelli name.

After seeing all the engineering that goes into the design, development, and selection of tires for the police application I was pleasantly surprised to learn that for retail they don't always put the cheapest OEM tire on.

Agreed

I was actually shocked to hear the negativity towards the Pirelli's. I always associated quality tires with the Pirelli name.

After seeing all the engineering that goes into the design, development, and selection of tires for the police application I was pleasantly surprised to learn that for retail they don't always put the cheapest OEM tire on.

Believe me, Pirelli, has also designed their fair share of crap over the years :) The old P6 and P7 Centurato were dreadful tires, and some mixed reviews on their Nero line in recent years--but they have also built some good ones along the way, too. It really does come down to the specific tire, which means that's where doing some research (and asking fellow owners) really does pay off.

No, I would hope you guys in Law Enforcement aren't getting things which come exclusively from the "lowest bidder" on your vehicles, although that does seem to be how the world works nowadays in most cases. Fyi, I just got done reading one of your old posts re: the Explorer Interceptors. Very cool!

Thanks,
Tim

Back