Mods to 91 explorer, I'm not from around here!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mods to 91 explorer, I'm not from around here!!!!

Gone Jeepin

Reaction score
City, State
Danville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Jeep ZJ
ok, I have a lifted Grand Cherokee, I did all the work to it myself, and my friend who drives a 91 explorer really likes the way my jeep turned out and wants my to lift his explorer, it's got a 6 and an auto, I think he want to run like 33+" tires, how much lift does he need, he's willing to cut the fenders? also how hard is an explorer to lift compared to a jeep with coils and straight axles? He'll have to regear right, what do explorers come with stock, like 3.73, 4.10? Any big things that are really hard? oh yeah, big thing, HOW MUCH MONEY!!!!! Thanks guys!
-Nate
oh yeah, I'll soon be a ford type person! I'm building up a 9" for my jeep! I know my 35c sucks so I don't need any crap about it!
oh also any pictures of lifted explorers with big ass tires would be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nate,
Well there are those on this site that have managed to get 33's with a 2" Rancho lift kit and a 2" body lift, while others use a 5.5" superlift kit. I have no experience on pre 95's so I couldn't tell you how hard it is. Certainly the front would be the hard part, and the radius arms are a pain in the A$$ from what I have heard. As far as gears are concerned it can be just about anything, but if you look on the drivers side door jamb there is a sticker that under axle is a 2 digit code or a digit and letter, like D4 or 46. If you can give us that code, we can tell you what gears he has. If you want to go spring over axle, that will give you 5.5" of lift in the back. The Superlift 5.5" lift kit will give you the blocks you need to accomplish this.
Ray Hutchinson is one of the people who has gone the Rancho 2" lift with 2" body lift, if you want any info about that, you could email him. He's a very knowledgeable person and a great guy. Paul Gagnon I believe runs a superlift and is also another very knowledge person. There are many pictures of lifted Explorers if you go to the home page and click on "add your Explorer". It will take you to some of the featured Explorers, then all you have to do is click on any of the names and you can see some really great rides. Hope this helps. If you want to get extreme than seek out our editor Rick and he can tell you all about putting a Dana 44 live axle in. Here's a couple of pictures of his truck.
nats_rick1.jpg

nats_rick2.jpg

I don't know if this qualifies as big ass tires but here are a couple of pics.

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Originally posted by Gone Jeepin
ok, I have a lifted Grand Cherokee, I did all the work to it myself,

How about posting a picture for us?

All right, it's just got all the mods in the sig, you want muddy or some flex? Don't want to give you a hard time cause I'm a visitor here, but your IFS is killing your articulation, but the rear flexes great! They look great though, but I never see any lifted explorers around here. Here are some excuses for my lack of flex right now! My new shocks aren't in so my front can't droop, and I have to cut even more of the fenders, but here you go!
View

and here's a mud shot
View

Oh yeah, about the guy! He's probably not gonna off road, he thinks he'll roll, and die or something! I think he wants like super big tires, he doesn't know much of anything, I'll talk to him!
-Nate
also those pics are all in legal OHV parks, I tread lightly!

cool man....i like the look...

yeah...the ifs does kill our flex....it also acts as a freakin plow when we play in the mud...as i like to do...
Dead Link Removed
now this setup has cut 33's up front and 29's on the back with only a 2" body lift.....RUB CITY!!! going in a straight line (which is all i had to do cause it was a mud race...) it didn't rub....but it did when i turned....

another option to the rear kit with superlifts stuff, is doing a custom Spring over axle conversion(SOA)...now since you do your stuff yourself, you probably know what im talkinng about....thats what i did....bought some new perches and welded them on top of the axle. relocated the shocks to where the sway bar mount was, and used the stock ubolt plates on top. its an effective (and cheaper) setup for the rear end if you have a good welder, and a knowledgeable person to do it. (I didn't my first time, all the welds broke loose when i hit the gas, the axle turned, and the u-joint exploded! DOH!) then i used the superlift stuff up front. that combined with a 2" body lift is going to enable me to run 35's....(i hope!! ;) )

maybe this will give you some more options....

Don't want to give you a hard time cause I'm a visitor here, but your IFS(Technically not IFS but TTB. But that is a whole 'nother discussion. ;)) is killing your articulation, but the rear flexes great!

I know but there is only so much that I can do at once. I just changed front and rear springs (around 150 miles on them now) and I am hoping that the fronts will loosen up a bit after a few more miles. Eventually I will be going to a solid D44 front but for now this is what I've got to live with.

Oh yeah, about the guy! He's probably not gonna off road, he thinks he'll roll, and die or something! I think he wants like super big tires, he doesn't know much of anything, I'll talk to him!

Take him out with you and I bet he changes his mind.

im surprised you guys havent shown gloria zimmerman's explorer. the ford ttb at its best-
(this will be my first attempt at posting pics on a board like this so i hope it works)
zimexpmed.jpg

zimfront2.jpg

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 10-24-2000 at 06:03 PM]

You're halfway there, raginred...

on the picture's url, add the tag [ img ] on the left side and [ /img ] on the right side, like this:

[ img ]http://www.explorer4x4.com/zimexpmed.jpg[ /img ]

Remember to delete the spaces between the brackets, though.

if you don't mind me asking, just how in the hell did that person get that much out of their front end.??? also how can i do it? i definately am hooked now.

yeah, actually that's how I found out about this board, I was looking at flex shots, found that one and went to the page, that flex is off the wall! MY friend is gonna do a spring over on his CJ soon I'll help him and see if I can do it! This guy though has the money for real lifts (not that spring over isn't real, I'm talking like kits though), I don't know why he asked me! Well thanks guys! Anyone here run the rubicon? I'm gonna hit it up this summer, well if I get my 9", or else I won't be able to take any camping gear with my cargo area filled up with extra 35c parts!
-Nate

This guy though has the money for real lifts (not that spring over isn't real, I'm talking like kits though)

Strange that you should say that because most people (no matter what they drive) after a while find that kits are really not all they are cracked up to be. In my opinion, custom work is where it is at as far as suspension work. It doesn't matter what you drive.

Back