Mojave Road and Death Valley, March 2011 | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mojave Road and Death Valley, March 2011

..Mojave trail turnout..
DV_Mojave_11_063.jpg

..The group watching the storm move back in all around us..
DV_Mojave_11_064.jpg

..From the trail..
DV_Mojave_11_139.jpg

..First night right after the snow quit, group camp..These two pictures were taken from one spot looking right then left..
DV_Mojave_11_0211.JPG

...You can see Scott's shower in this pic..
DV_Mojave_11_0231.JPG

..And we woke up to ice..
DV_Mojave_11_0261.JPG

..Second nights camping against the Lava bed for wind protection..This was in the am after the sun rose..
DV_Mojave_11_178.jpg

..and before the packing up..
DV_Mojave_11_174.jpg

...Over at the Lava tubes..Inside the larger cave..
DV_Mojave_11_198.jpg

..and our group talking to the guy from NASA..:shifty_ey..He is not shown as per Spender's instructions..
DV_Mojave_11_202.jpg

..Kelso Depot Cafe..
DV_Mojave_11_105.jpg

..Many of people have seen this old sign over the years..It's no longer there..
DV_Mojave_11_256.jpg

..The signs say it all..
DV_Mojave_11_238.jpg

..It's truly an oasis in the desert..
DV_Mojave_11_267.jpg

..But while NASA and the Professors were inside hard at work after we left them, we were outside playing around..(There is a Cal State Professor that has a crush on ScottB)..:D

..On the swings..
DV_Mojave_11_244.jpg

..And Horse shoes..
DV_Mojave_11_261.jpg

...and..?..might have to ask Brian what he was doing..Oh wait, that was somewhere else..:p:
DV_Mojave_11_224.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..and..?..might have to ask Brian what he was doing..Oh wait, that was somewhere else..:p:

Multitasking! - trying to answer the phone in my pocket while checking the Explorer over for the road trip back home all while Tbars harasses me with the camera :p::D

Nice pictures guys, looking forward to more! Im going to have to check out ZZYZX next time Im around there.

..I knew the swing set's would peak your interest..:D

..Anxiously waiting for part 2 from Scott..:popcorn:

I liked the swing...

..Rightio and howdy neighbor..:D

..Glad your group made it home safe and you were able to find this forum..:biggthump

Doing an overnight trip

Heading out to Silverwood Lake to camp, but getting ready to do a dirt bike on and offroad through to hopefully Big Bear late next week.:usa:

..I'll be working but hope to meet up with you again soon..:D

..You might take a minute and share with the others reading this thread, who you are and your adventures that brought you here..:popcorn:..:D

How rude of me...intro to who glogal75 is

Gloria Miller here...there's a picture posted of me someswhere. Met up with Tbars4 and others by accident, but worth it.

My mother-in-law and I were waiting for our husbands to get some help in Death Valley (Stovepipe Wells). (If it's a picture of two gals and a black Chevy Suburban, then that be the picture) But patience wasn't what we had that day and just being the gals that we were we decided to keep trying anything to plug the tires so we can roll a little further to civilization as much as possible.

Great trip by the way!

Thanks guys and a little dog.

..Page nine of this thread has the pictures..;)

..Glogal is the one holding the tools here..
DV_Mojave_11_075.jpg

..Gotta go but will keep checking in here if you want to add some of your own pictures or stories of your Death Valley trip..We are waiting on ScottB to finish his writing so we know how our trip went..:p:

..A little story I just remembered while we were talking to the Ranger at Kelso Depot..Brian1 and I were asking what maps they had and we were asked where we were headed..

..Brian told him where we came from and where we were going and the Ranger must have gotten confused..He proceeded to tell us where we came from was probably un-passable for jeeps due to the recent weather..

..Brian told him no, that's where we just came from but we need info to where we are headed..The Ranger then asked what we were driving and his face was priceless when it was mentioned Explorers and Rangers..:D

..While we are waiting for Part 2 I thought I would post up some pics of are stay in Barstow..

..It's actually after the rain was over from the night before so we were heading out of town and went touring the local museums..

..A couple notable destinations we didn't stop at was the Harvey House and Barstow is also where Del Taco started and store #1 is still here..

..These are from the Mojave River Museum..A little place but well worth the stop as it is packed full of history..:biggthump
DV_Mojave_11_0071.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0101.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0041.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0141.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0131.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0121.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0171.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0162.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0152.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0202.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0341.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0331.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0301.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0252.jpg

cookbox1.jpg

cookbook1.jpg

..The BLM visitor center..Big Building and nothing much to visit but it is the place to stop into to get info on any of the areas you want to venture off to..;)
DV_Mojave_11_0351.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0361.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0371.jpg

..And unlike Brian1, ScottB and Mike both have foto evidence..:p:
DV_Mojave_11_0381.jpg

DV_Mojave_11_0391.jpg

..A little story I just remembered while we were talking to the Ranger at Kelso Depot..Brian1 and I were asking what maps they had and we were asked where we were headed..

..Brian told him where we came from and where we were going and the Ranger must have gotten confused..He proceeded to tell us where we came from was probably un-passable for jeeps due to the recent weather..

..Brian told him no, that's where we just came from but we need info to where we are headed..The Ranger then asked what we were driving and his face was priceless when it was mentioned Explorers and Rangers..:D

That was pretty funny now that I think about it. That "un-passable" road was quite muddy but nothing the Explorers and Rangers couldnt handle!

Is that the rock in your picture Ted that was removed from Piute Gorge? I read a story about the rock fell down into the gorge and the BLM airlifted it out and placed it in some museum, I just dont remember which one.

..Sorry Brian, I can't answer that..:(

..There is another big "Mojave" Museum but it wasn't open..Skuttlebutt was there are a few organizations who take turns running and operating it and they don't get along with each other..

..The River Museum is where a lot of stuff is being sent to now from what I could gather and I could spend days in there just reading all the info on stuff they have..One of the best little places I've been to in quite a while..

Ok, now Im curious. I dug out my book Tales of the Mojave Road The Military and looked it up. The rock is called Bishop Stone. It tumbled down the gorge and came to rest in the stream, broken. It was airlifted out on July 12, 1974 and was taken to Riverside and then to Barstow and the Mojave River Valley Museum where it was restored and put on display.

Looking at your picture that does not seem to be it. The rock had "S.A. Bishop" inscribed on it, he was a pioneer from California

Another place I have to add to the list! Next Mojave adventure: go to zzyzx and the museum in Barstow :D

Another place I have to add to the list! Next Mojave adventure: go to In-N-Out, Zzyzx and the museum in Barstow :D

..Fixed it for ya..:p:

Another place I have to add to the list! Next Mojave adventure: go to In-N-Out, Zzyzx and the museum in Barstow :D

Me too...

I've started working on it, but have been pre-occupied with projects around the house. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Will work for cheap..:hammer:

.. Just need gas both ways, food, and some wheeling days..:D

Back