Mojave Road and Death Valley, March 2011 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mojave Road and Death Valley, March 2011

I think you guys picked a bad week to go! We have gotten almost 8" or rain in 24 hrs here :eek:

Should be interesting...hope you packed snorkels:D :popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keeper..this place is actually packed with snow birds in their rv's... I actually grabbed the only spot with no neighbors directly next to me.. Half that table is for who parks on that side anthe pass door of my Ranger is for that side neighbor to park.. Riverside parking is cheap here but you dont get much real estate... Plus this new tent is friggin huge... I'm thinking about renting half of it out...:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Steve,we couldn't just settle for a trail run down some long dusty road with beautiful weather... No same 'ol hum drum trail here... This is what "Serious Explorations is all about...:biggthump...pssst, stay by your phone in case we need the JP mobile to get us out...:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Steve,we couldn't just settle for a trail run down some long dusty road with beautiful weather... No same 'ol hum drum trail here... This is what "Serious Explorations is all about...:biggthump...pssst, stay by your phone in case we need the JP mobile to get us out...:D
Posted via Mobile Device

As long as you pay the gas:D 10'000lbs winch standing by:p:

this new tent is friggin huge...
If you say so :p:.

Our tent is one step from a British expedition. All it's missing is a roll top desk with our maps of the Congo :D.

high wind and rain tested... 11:30 Last night light rain. 1:30 am high wind from truck sidepushing tent down flat. 3:30 am higher wind now from all sides trying to shred tent. 4:00 am neighors make shift wind break lets go and their tents start shredding so my dog climbs into bed with me. 4:20 am wind turns into rain and dog go's back to her bed and is now snoring. My tent is still in good shape the wind seems to have stopped for the moment and I'm wondering if I should drop the tent now and what else this day will bring..:scratch:
Posted via Mobile Device

.. I dropped the tent, took a shower and it hs been breezy and rainy till now... Went to the Super Walmart and they lost all the compressors to the huge meat dept. Time to start heading over to Safeway...:burnout:
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey I wont make it to visit you guys. I had a emergency at home and had to run back to vegas last night. Hopefully I can catch with you guys somewhere in DV? We'll see.

we survived so far. Driving into soda lake right now. Live from the trail..:D
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for the update, glad to know your doing ok. :thumbsup:

THey forced me to lead them across soda lake. We made it about an 1/8 in and backed out. Airing up outside of baker now.
Posted via Mobile Device

I made it to Winslow for the night. Hope you guys didnt get stuck in the wash or drown in the water crossing! I stopped at the In-n-out in Kingman.

Another great trip on the Mojave Road! We had it all from rain to wind to snow to sun and even ran across some NASA researchers in the middle of the desert! I think we only passed/saw 2 vehicles and 3 motorcycles on the whole trail.

I will get some pictures posted up tomorrow when I get home.

..Glad to hear you made it safe Brian...:D

...We just ate and got rooms in Barstow...It's raining, windy, and snowing in the areas around us...I was going to camp and we got to town after dark and I was kindly offered to share a room..

...First, we left Baker and headed down to Zzyzx...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx,_California

Where we met up with some other people with NASA and did our own self tour of the whole compound with pleasant weather...We then headed down to Afton to the caves about 6 and it started raining...

..From what we can find on local weather it is calling for rain or snow on/off thru Saturday...

..There are going to be ton's of pics and lot's of stories...:biggthump

..Some teaser pics...

Snow...
DV_Mojave_11_012b.jpg

Big snow flakes..
DV_Mojave_11_013b.jpg

..and a scenery shot..
DV_Mojave_11_019b.jpg

...A little more update after some rest in a real bed..:biggthump

...Brian1 and his dad started their track home from Baker...We got a group shot (minus Brian and his dad) at the world's largest thermometer at BunBoy in Baker..Well, there is a new Bob's Big Boy there and Bun Boy is closed down but their motel is still open it looks like..Bob's Big Boy sign is now on it..

...Today's plans...

..Ritsui and Khiori are still with us in Barstow and should be making their trek home shortly..We plan to restock in Bartsow and trek up the 395 with plans of meeting up with an EP member from Colorado, up to Stovepipe wells by two and get some permits..

Grabbed a pic off the net of Stovepipe Wells..
updating.jpg

Looks like ya'll are having a great time there, when u get to DV and if you cross over to the Nevada side ghost town, (don't remember the name) don't forget to post a pic of the "Leggo Lady" !! What I remember about DV services was that the food was expensive but the beer was cheap!!

.. You are all here in spirit...:biggthump we are checking out the majave river valley museum then over to the BLM office then HD for a hose clamp then we are back on the road..ran into another overlander that camped here last night with a drunner and he said they got hammered by the weather..:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was incredibly fun - and what a great group of people. I wish we could have continued on - we'll try to button things up at home and regroup on Monday though. Otherwise - happy trails to you all!

Back