Mojave Road and Death Valley, March 2011 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mojave Road and Death Valley, March 2011

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
Summary

I am planning a 2-week expedition to the California desert next spring. We will be running the Mojave Road for 3 days and exploring Death Valley for 6 days. Nights will be spent in the desert wilderness, with a re-supply day (and hot shower) in the middle.

This trip is primarily an exploration trip – 4-wheel drive is needed, but won’t be extreme. There will be frequent stops for pictures and closer looks.

Self sufficiency is extremely important – we will be in the desert, and being unprepared could ruin your whole day. Water, food, gas, water, parts, etc.

The dates are March 21 – March 30.
The plan is to leave Bullhead City, AZ on the morning of the 21 for 3 days on the Mojave Road, re-supply in Barstow, CA, then spend 6 days in Death Valley, starting at the north end, working our way south.

This trip is primarily for my Dad and I, but anyone is welcome to join us. If you can’t make the entire 2 weeks, feel free to join us when you can.

Itinerary

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be spent on the Mojave Trail, camping Monday and Tuesday nights, spending Wednesday night in Barstow. Thursday is a resupply and travel day, finding a campsite at the end of the day in northern Death Valley, somewhere around Scotty's Castle. Friday through Wednesday will be spent exploring Death Valley, heading generally south, ending Wednesday night in either Barstow or Kingman or ???

I hesitate to set a very specific itinerary in DV, due to all the recent rains.

General Daily Plan

Ideally, I'd like to get rolling at 9:00, break for a short lunch, and get to camp by 4:00. This allows plenty of time to break camp in the morning, set up camp in the evening, and finish dinner before the sun sets. As I said - ideally.

CB Channel

Channel 4
Alternate - channel 10

Attendees

ScottB
Dad
Tbars
Ritsui & Rachel (Mojave Road)
Martin (Expedition Portal) (Death Valley)
mjmcdowell (Expedition Portal)
Chazz Layne (Expedition Portal) (Mojave Road)

Probable
Brian1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Where do I sign up? How do I get in on this great deal?...Tell me more..:D

...You might want to stay/explore one of the campgrounds like the "Hole in the wall campground" visitor center for 1 night in the middle of the Mojave desert if you are staying 3 days on the Mojave trail..:dunno:

...:shifty_ey ..I heard rumors of a movie at Kelso Depot which had Explorers and a Ranger in it...:popcorn:

"Hole in the wall" is a definite possibility, and Kelso Depot is a definite stop.

Maybe we can get a picture of a movie star?????

I'm definitely interested in a Mojave Road trip if it was over the weekend, i can't miss school during the week though.

I wish. I really want to make a Mojave Road run one of these years. For those that have run the trail before with a bone stock extra cab short bed 4x4 silverado make it through the trail?

I wish. I really want to make a Mojave Road run one of these years. For those that have run the trail before with a bone stock extra cab short bed 4x4 silverado make it through the trail?

Shouldn't be a problem.

I'm planning on it sometime in the F-150.

I won't be able to make this trip, though.

...Full size trucks can easily run this trail...Just expect some pin-striping...

...What's cool about this run I think is, people can catch up to Scott and his Dad anytime over the two week period...During the week or the weekends..

..I'm in and will try for the whole trip but work and the economy will let me know for sure...

...I've mentioned this to a lot of members recently so I would suspect there will be a few people popping in and out during this trip..:biggthump

...I get articles sent to me from Tom over at Badlands Offroad Adventures...These articles are all about offroading and extended trips...I thought I would share the one I received today as this may help others who plan on making a trip like this for the first time, and it's a refresher for others...
http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/Camping/BreakingCamp.html

...This has a big list of other useful articles too..
http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/ArticleIndex.html

Good stuff in there Ted, thanks. Although Im not sure if cooking an omlet in the morning goes well with packing up quickly! :p:

The T&T Rail Road Adventure in November mentioned in that link sounds pretty awesome too. May have to look into doing that trip sometime in the next few years.

Back on topic slightly...last night I ordered the book Backcountry Adventures Southern California from 4wpw.com It is supposed to be the best guidebook for Death Valley 4wd adventures.

... Its quick and easy if you cook your omelete on your hood in the desert...:p:
Posted via Mobile Device

Good stuff in there Ted, thanks. Although Im not sure if cooking an omlet in the morning goes well with packing up quickly! :p:

The T&T Rail Road Adventure in November mentioned in that link sounds pretty awesome too. May have to look into doing that trip sometime in the next few years.

Back on topic slightly...last night I ordered the book Backcountry Adventures Southern California from 4wpw.com It is supposed to be the best guidebook for Death Valley 4wd adventures.

I have Death Valley SUV Trails by Roger Mitchell, published by Track and Trail Publications.

I'm about half way through it - it is quite detailed and informative.

...I've mentioned this to a lot of members recently so I would suspect there will be a few people popping in and out during this trip..:biggthump

I've also listed this on Expedition Portal, and have received some interest.

I am really looking forward to this trip...

:thumbsup: Subscribed. Bookmarked. Calendared. Etc. :thumbsup:

Probable: Me, Rachel + 2 doggies.

...Tell me I'm not excited about this trip...

...I spent this weekend window shopping for stuff and today I checked out what camping stuff I have and what I want to get...The X is going to be ready...:p:

The Mojave Rd is a great trail. I just ran it over Halloween. It is stocker friendly and there are plenty of sights. You will want to have the guide book to get everything out of it. The only issue for stockers might be how wet the winter was. Soda dry lake can get really nasty. We normally stay at Midhills campground or Hole in the Wall campground on the first night. Midhills is nicer and has some trees, but Hole in the Wall has the hiking trail and the cool rocks to play in but is also another six miles or so off of the trail. As stated, there are plenty of neat sights to see, but on the second day, one worth taking a slight detour for is the Lava Tubes. We normally shoot for a campsite at Little Cowhole Mtn which is at the edge of Soda dry lake the second night. That makes the last day across the lake and through Afton a little shorter after being on the trails for two full days and nights. Not to mention, its one of the few places that has a nice large area that a group can camp at. Secondly, it is only a 15 minute trip to Baker from there is somebody is low on fuel or needs supplies. One last thing to note, over seven vehicles will require a permit from the BLM. Last I checked, they are about $50. Not a big deal if everyone pitches in a few bucks.

I have never wheeled in Death Valley, but it has been on my list of places to wheel. I might just be up for this trip too.. That is of course if B2's are allowed! ;)

Brian1
Although Im not sure if cooking an omlet in the morning goes well with packing up quickly!
I have a quick way to make an omlete in the morning with almost zero cleanup. Have you ever made one in a ziplock bag?? We do it quite frequently if your interested. :)

These photos were from Halloween weekend and a pretty soggy Soda "dry" lake...
247.jpg

345.jpg

I might just be up for this trip too.. That is of course if B2's are allowed!

...I'm pretty sure all members are welcome...We just bring extra straps when the BII's are involved...:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back