mom's 2014 explorer has a water leak and smells of mildew | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mom's 2014 explorer has a water leak and smells of mildew

f150lightning95

Reaction score
City, State
Poughkeepsie, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 f150
My Mothers 2014 Explorer has developed the most disgusting mildew smell. The dealer said that the sunroof drain tube was clogged and they fixed it, we never saw water in the vehicle but we sure smell it. I added what they were going to do about the smell and was told that they were partnering with parts fir a solution. Well the vehicle was returned after two days and the smell was a bit better but I'd now back in full force. parents are in their 70's they can't be breathing in mold. Any suggestions? thanks

Welcome to this forum! Your profile says F150 but you said that it's an Explorer. :confused: Check to see if the smell is coming from the A/C - heater vents. I saw some threads in the past how some people had dead mice caught in the area where the blower motor was. The smell entered the cabin area when the A/C or heater was running. I think that your model has a cabin filter too, but check the owner's manual to be sure. Maybe it's time to replace it.

thanks for the info

hi, brooklynbay
I have owned 2 2006 explorers a 2008 sport trac ltd a 2010 sport trac Adrenalin and just bought a 2007 sport trac LTD. No stranger to explorers here☺️. Mom's explorer has been checked by the dealer and they said it was a clogged sunroof drain, she has a car wash package and washes it just about everyday. when I have sniffed around in it, the smell appears to be coming from the headliner near the rear. at this point not sure if the headliner is permanently damaged from moisture. We never found any water just the after effects.
thanks

Back