Mono Amp w/ DVC Subs

CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Im working into doing a slight upgrade on my stereo at the moment...

so far I have ditched my DUAL HU, and upgraded to a ( PIONEER DEH-P4200UB ) HU, and replaced my broke rear door speakers with some replacement ( KENWOOD KFC-5793PS ) speakers. Currently waiting to get my ( KENWOOD EXCELON XR-4S ) 4 channel amp installed for the doors this week. then once that amp is in, i wanna upgrade my subs and 2 channel amp...

I found a good deal on some ( KENWOOD EXCELON KFC-XW1222D ), and a ( KENWOOD KAC-9105D )

The Subs say they are rated for 600w RMS max @ 2 ohm's. The Amp says its max is 900w RMS @ 2ohm's x 1 channel. If I wired the subs in series ? like so...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch...nter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

would this set up be possible to do ? based on the Subs / Amps power capabilities, or would i need to look into a 2 channel Amp ??

if a different Amp is needed, any suggestions are welcome.

thanks fella's :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the correct way to do it. Set your gains properly and enjoy.

so what i posted above is a very possibe set up ?. just want to make sure that if i bought this amp that i wouldnt damage the subs...

any idea of what kind of power i could get to each sub wired as such ? now i know that setting the gains etc. will have an effect but, just an estimated guess would be really cool...

ive never had a mono amp wired to 2 subs before, so this is very new to me...

The subs should get 450 RMS each. That's fine for those. Oh, the X4R is one bad ass amp. I have 2 of them :D

my local audio shop suggested it to me, saying i would be very happy with the amp, and that it would have good control over my speakers making them sound pretty good.

Infinity, may I ask what speakers your currently running ?

also in reference to my sub question, wow 450w RMS each would be a huge jump from what im running now, hell even 300w RMS each would be an improvement lol

Currently? None. :D I have several sets of custom components that can go in. I haven't decided what to use yet. Probably the SEAS that I have in storage. I was running Alpine STX's (SEAS and Vifa sourced) in my Sport Trac.

i have a setup exactly like in the drawing in the back of my 4 door, and it works good,
lots of bump,

I know this thread is about the subs im looking for etc etc...

but just wanted to comment about my new XR-4S Amp that i had installed today. Infinity you werent kidding :thumbsup: this amp sounds great ! the newly found clarity of my door speakers is just incredible ! such an improvement, and im very happy with the investment so far !

may be ditching the idea of the KAC-9105D, and just shelling out the cash for the XR-1S to match the subs with :thumbsup:

That's the sub amp I have also. It is awesome. Huge amount of clean power in a very small package. It also keeps cool when being ran at the limits for long periods of time.

Infinity,

what kind of sub set up is your XR-1S powering right now if you dont mind me asking ? if i can get away with 1 sub that will perform as my current under powered set up, if not better i would be very happy, but i can still live with 2 subs...

just be nice to save a little bit of cash, which would translate to faster install :D

I had it on a pair of Sundownz 10's in my SportTrac, but it's currently awaiting install in the Mounty. I'll likely do a pair of brutal 8's or the 10's again- depends on enclosure requirements....and money. ;)

Infinity,

if i was in your position, i would say go for the 10's...

took the plunge and bought the ( XR-1S )...

now I atleast have my power source... now gives me atleast 2 weeks to decide what sub or subs i want...

Infinity,

if i was in your position, i would say go for the 10's...

I most likely will, but in a proper ported enclosure this time. They worked OK in small sealed, but ported is always welcome to me.

my XR-1S came in the mail today :D

now im just waiting for another 2 weeks, so that my friend will buy my current subs i have in my X...

now what to buy ???? looking for a solid single sub that will handle the XR-1S with no issues...

considering a Alpine Type X 10 or RE Audio SXX10D2 so far... still looking for other options, so please if you have a suggestion let me know...

Back