Monroematic shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Monroematic shocks

Hey ya'll. I just replaced all 4 shocks on my 94 Explorer Sport. All but 1 were still original. When I compared the new shock to the old one, I noticed the stock back ones were bigger around and heavier duty like the Rancho shock. The Monroe's felt a little more stiff than the old ones, I'll bet from being worn. The front shocks were another story though. The old shocks were the same diameter, but much harder to push in than the Monroematics. I was reluctant to install them at first, but am glad I did now. The ride is much softer now and many noises I used to hear from the undercaraige have been reduced significantly. I was even considering getting solid urathane engine & tranny mounts before I installed these. If your 1st gen rides alittle too rough for you, I highly recommend installing a lighter duty shock atleast in the front. These aren't 1/2 ton pick-ups with big V-8's so you won't need the same dampening as they do. Hope this helps!

1st gen Sports are a tad lighter, than the 4 door 1st gens, but are still body on frame 1/2 ton trucks. These are weighing in at over 5000 lbs due to this construction.

Shocks need to match front to back with valving rebound recovery, or the vehicle can "bounce" being out of sync at speed. When hydroplaning begins at 35 mph, the shocks keep both ends of the vehicle level, while the suspension is cycling underneath.

With that said.... For your Average Joe Daily Driver, mall rated grocery shopping- errand running -go to see Grandma on Sundays SUV:
You DO want a shock rated for your vehicles weight, and you DO want that shock to match recovery times. Best way to accomplish this, is to buy all four shocks as a set, at the same time. made for your vehicles specs.

For those that like to veer off the pavement onto dirt from time to time, it's a bit different here. You want heavier rated shocks that can be used for dual purpose. These shocks come in more flavors then Ben & Hairy's Ice Cream. Some come with variable tuning by a turn of a knob. 30 seconds of Purple Nurple valve turning, and you are ready to hit the dirt. You can buy these in full 4 pc sets as well. You can also run different front pairs & back pairs, if your homework is done, and by now, hopefully you have learned a bit more about these inner workings, to make an educated purchase. If not, just stick to buying full sets of the same.

We won't even get into the next level of shocks here, no point in it. ;)

1st gen Sports are a tad lighter, than the 4 door 1st gens, but are still body on frame 1/2 ton trucks. These are weighing in at over 5000 lbs due to this construction.

Shocks need to match front to back with valving rebound recovery, or the vehicle can "bounce" being out of sync at speed. When hydroplaning begins at 35 mph, the shocks keep both ends of the vehicle level, while the suspension is cycling underneath.

With that said.... For your Average Joe Daily Driver, mall rated grocery shopping- errand running -go to see Grandma on Sundays SUV:
You DO want a shock rated for your vehicles weight, and you DO want that shock to match recovery times. Best way to accomplish this, is to buy all four shocks as a set, at the same time. made for your vehicles specs.

For those that like to veer off the pavement onto dirt from time to time, it's a bit different here. You want heavier rated shocks that can be used for dual purpose. These shocks come in more flavors then Ben & Hairy's Ice Cream. Some come with variable tuning by a turn of a knob. 30 seconds of Purple Nurple valve turning, and you are ready to hit the dirt. You can buy these in full 4 pc sets as well. You can also run different front pairs & back pairs, if your homework is done, and by now, hopefully you have learned a bit more about these inner workings, to make an educated purchase. If not, just stick to buying full sets of the same.

We won't even get into the next level of shocks here, no point in it. ;)
I didn't follow all of what your saying there. I lost you at 1/2 ton truck. My Explorer weighs 3,800 lbs wet. I know a 1/2 ton weighs quite a bit more unless your talking about a 2018 all aluminum EcoBoost Ford F-150 which weigh roughly 5,500 lbs. Next I'd like to point out that the shocks I purchased were bought on Rock Auto specifically for my vehicle so, yes, they are matched.

I will give you the 1/2 ton dealio, as they are really 1/4 ton rigs when it comes to towing, but there is no way your rig weighs 3800 wet, dry curb yeah about that.

A sport is just under 5000# Gross and a 4 door is just over 5000 Gross. Look at your door tag. It will give the weight for the front & rear.

Putting on lighter duty shocks is going backwards, IMO.

I guess I came off pretty harsh there. Apologies for that. Guess what I'm trying to say is these rigs are not cars, but are more like trucks. Softening the ride to act like a car, just goes against the grain. While you might gain a softer gentler ride with lighter duty shocks, that is only in a straight line, on level pavement. If you dont mind the compromise of losing handling in turns or off pavement use, by all means, do what you want. It is yours to do as you wish after all. This would be an individual choice, based on personal use, and not for all, as an improvement. Personally for me, if I want a ride to be like a comfy car, then that's what I would get, a car.
Sorry for the way I came off, didn't mean for it to be so negative

Back