Monticello Canyon, NM Trip Report | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Monticello Canyon, NM Trip Report

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I took a day trip today to go run Monticello Canyon which is about 30 miles north of TorC, New Mexico. I arrived in the very small town of Monticello around 11 and began the trip toward the canyon. Once past the first few ranches and near the first water crossings I saw a couple of deer not too far away. I saw more deer along the way.

m_DSC06418.jpg

The trail is a state/county road that runs through the Monticello Box Canyon. There are a few springs in the area so water runs across the trail in many places

1 of the many (50+) water crossings, this one near the beginning:
m_DSC06427.jpg

Getting closer toward the box canyon the road followed the stream more and more
m_DSC06460.jpg

This quickly became one of my favorite, non-rockcrawling trails in NM for exploring
m_DSC06465.jpg

The valley was really green however the hills and plains in the area were very brown and dry
m_DSC06479.jpg

The canyon narrows
m_DSC06490.jpg

m_DSC06508.jpg

The box canyon:
m_DSC06519.jpg

I got out of the canyon around 12:30 so it took me 1 1/2 hours at a pretty good pace stopping occasionally to get out for pictures.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
After leaving the canyon it was around 14 miles to the next turnoff into the Cibola Forest. This was the first trip I planned completly using Google Earth and laying a path in the program and then transfered it to my GPS. It worked great.

m_DSC06522.jpg

The road into Bear Trap Canyon
m_DSC06528.jpg

I stopped for a quick lunch and then continued on to the Mt Withington lookout turnoff which was 4 miles 1 way from the main forest road I was on. The road did get much rougher but 4wd was not needed. The lookout tower was staffed and the views from the top were really nice

m_DSC06541.jpg

m_DSC06542.jpg

m_DSC06544.jpg

I got to the top around 2:30 and then made quick time back down to the main road and the remaining distance to Hwy 60. I got back to Albuquerque a little after 5, I left at 7:45am. The weather was great all day long and the total trip was just over 300 miles.

<

<

<

<